New to tropical

New to fishkeeping? This is the place to find out whatever you need to know!

New to tropical

Postby charl89 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:13 pm

Hi New here, little bit of info

I actually have marine fish, cold water and coral marine but decided to hand the marine fish in as just to expensive and where i live impossible to get them.

So I currently have 2 tanks one is solely marine so will sell it as a marine tank and my other is a normal fish tank, will be looking at buying new filter, lights (currently have a large airstone and pump for this)

questions are:
how many fish can you have in a 120l tank?
how long do you need to cycle the tank?
does the tank need much flow?
do you add fish slowly like marines to not get a nitrate spike?

i am sure i'll have tonnes more to ask so start with this for now lol.

Thanks
Charl
charl89

Re: New to tropical

Postby Carylnz » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:01 am

how many fish can you have in a 120l tank?
Depends on filtration, surface area, species of fish and maintenance regime

how long do you need to cycle the tank?
Usually 1 month, if starting from scratch

does the tank need much flow?
Nothing like wave makers required for marines! Also depends on fish species being kept

do you add fish slowly like marines to not get a nitrate spike?
Yes
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby charl89 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:46 pm

lol thanks so the same as marine then,
I am going to add plants and a ornament and a piece of wood, i am going to try keep alot of area

i like the neon fish and also gourami, i am looking for colour really and easy none aggressive fish as had enough of that with my marines so starting with small fish for now.

i just bought a small filter pump to go into the tank that has an arm thing that is attached to increase surface flow.

Thanks for the help
charl89

Postby Carolann » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:06 pm

Hi Charl89.
I too am new to keeping tropicals although we did have a tank many moons ago. We have also tried to get more community type fish.
And like yourself we have gone for various types of neons about 10 of. 2 Rummy nose. 2 black mollies. 2 scarlet platys . 6 guppies. 2 dwarf scarlet gourami.
2 opaline gourami. 1 titchy angel fish. and 2 vietnamese butterfly loach.
I would love some shrimp , but have been warned that they might become food for the angel so am holding back at present.
All of these seem to get on fine, we have managed though to end up with 2 male opaline gourami and 2 dwarf scarlet gourami, so sometimes they have a whizz round the tank but have built caves and lots of plants so they can get out of each others way if they want.
I sit and watch them for hours, far more entertaining then anything on the telly.

Good luck
Carol
Carolann

Postby Carylnz » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:39 pm

You have the classic beginner's tank Carol in that you have 2 of this and 2 of that, ending up with a few of lots of different species.
Rummynoses are shoaling fish and need to be in a group of 6 or more. The larger the group the safer they feel and the more colourful they become.
Mollies and platys need to be in a sex ratio of 1 ,male to 2 or more females (unless you have 2 males or 2 females of course)
You may have problems with the angel as it grows. They can get very territorial and vicious.

Freshwater tanks are much easier to look after than marines, and a lot cheaper!
Carylnz

Postby charl89 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:46 pm

well started cycling the tank, going to go buy some plants on saturday and let it all cycle for about 3 weeks as i am due to visit the fish store.
My situation is that i live on an island and for me to get to my nearest fish store i have to fly to them so costs alot of money so i have started to cycle asap to get it all going.

made a cave with stones from the seashore (the area were actually grass grows, so not salty) and washed them and done a gravel

looks good already lol

in 3 weeks i am looking at getting
5 neon fish
maybe something else for now.

then in december due to fly again for work so will add some more so least the tank rests for over a month.
charl89

Postby Carolann » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:23 pm

Carylnz wrote:You have the classic beginner's tank Carol in that you have 2 of this and 2 of that, ending up with a few of lots of different species.
Rummynoses are shoaling fish and need to be in a group of 6 or more. The larger the group the safer they feel and the more colourful they become.
Mollies and platys need to be in a sex ratio of 1 ,male to 2 or more females (unless you have 2 males or 2 females of course)
You may have problems with the angel as it grows. They can get very territorial and vicious.

Freshwater tanks are much easier to look after than marines, and a lot cheaper!

Thanks for the tip. We are going to increase the numbers of some of the fish i.e. rummy nose , I understand what you say about the shoaling the neon's all swim together even though we have 3 types , Yes I know the Angel might grow into a problem at present it is about the size of 10p coin, but my mum(76) wanted one.
It will be a learning curve I have no doubt. :)
Carolann

Postby Carylnz » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:48 am

3 types of neons? What do you have?
Carylnz

Postby Carolann » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:07 pm

Carylnz wrote:3 types of neons? What do you have?

Ooops that should have been tetras. I did say I was new to this didnt I. One day I might get it right Carylnz. :lol:
Carolann

Postby charl89 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:13 pm

another question how long do lights need to be on for?
charl89

Postby Carylnz » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:22 pm

Ah, that makes more sense :lol:
If you have plants, they need a light cycle of 8 - 12 hours to photosynthesise correctly. If you don't have live plants, have the lights on for as long as you like - within reason. Never leave lights on 24/7 as fish need to sleep too. They like to have a day and night cycle.
Many have their lights on a timer. These are cheap to buy from hardware stores and other places. Mine come on about 10am and switch off about 10pm
Carylnz

Postby charl89 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:53 am

thanks yeh got them on my marine so once that is gone this weekend will nick it from that tank. i am going to have live plants as read it has added benefits to thesystem so will get some this weekend.
thanks again,no doubt will have another question.
charl89

Postby charl89 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:23 pm

can you have cichilids with other fish? like tetras and gouramis.
charl89

Postby Carylnz » Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:22 am

"Cichlids" covers many species of fish from different continents. All need different conditions and set-ups so you need to choose those that will live happily with tetras and gouramis. Not any of the African cichlids for a start :wink:
Carylnz

Postby charl89 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:42 pm

aw thats a shame i liked the african ones. lol
i noticed on some youtube videos people had them mixed with tetras and other small fish.
charl89

Next

Return to Beginners