Pregnant Platy.

New to fishkeeping? This is the place to find out whatever you need to know!

Pregnant Platy.

Postby Carolann » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:20 pm

I am wondering if there are any tell tale signs to watch for with our female platy she is very pregnant, but we have only owned her for 2wks, so not sure when she is due to give birth.
When we got the 2 platy's they stayed at the back of the tank and kept close to the bottom hiding as much as possible in the caves I have built, after a few days the male came out and fed and mixed with the other fish, she stayed low, but about 3 days ago she started to come out and swim around now today she has gone back to her hiding places and he has gone with her, I did read the the male would follow the female when they were going to give birth so as to mate again shortly afterwards. Do you think she could be getting ready to give birth. I am not intending to separate her in a breeding tank/net.
Carolann

Re: Pregnant Platy.

Postby Carylnz » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:32 pm

It is quite possible she is due any day but does it matter? Just keep an eye out for the fry then you will have a better idea next time. They will breed every 4 - 6 weeks.
They look like they are about to burst and, in lighter coloured fish, you can see the fry's eyes through the abdomen.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby Carolann » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:27 pm

Thanks for that. I can see the eyes in the guppies like you say, looks a bit spooky. I am going to get another female platy, its on my next shopping list. :lol:
Carolann

Postby Carylnz » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:46 am

Why get another? If the one you have is about to give birth you will have several females (and males)
Carylnz

Postby Carolann » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:03 pm

Carylnz wrote:Why get another? If the one you have is about to give birth you will have several females (and males)

Good thinking. Fingers crossed for some babies .
Carolann

Postby Carylnz » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:25 pm

The fry will like lots of fine leaved plants to hide in. They will not go into caves, nor will a cave make them safe. Provide plants like ambulia, cabomba, water sprite, Indian fern and Java moss, both planted and floating varieties. The fry will pick at food trapped among the leaves and can take finely crushed flake, they do not need fry food. Just rub the flake food between thumb and finger.
Carylnz

Postby Carolann » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:49 pm

Thanks for the info. I have plants and java moss in the tank, there are a couple of baby guppies left from the first batch born last week they are living in the plants. When I planted the tank up i tried to put clumps of plants so any fry could hide, the caves are usually the domain of the gourami's. Although the Platy does like to go in there quite a lot.
Carolann

Return to Beginners