any advice for a oldie but newby lol

New to fishkeeping? This is the place to find out whatever you need to know!

any advice for a oldie but newby lol

Postby Skysters » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:30 am

Hi all .. i have looked after a 4 foot aquarium before ..20 + years ago so a little rusty by far , but im needing a little advise im guessing to make sure that what i do will be good for me and my new hobby :O)

I have just bought a second hand 4 foot tank ..will be collecting weekend , it has
3 apple snails
3 clown
Loach
3 tetras
And a platty

obviously as stated been a long while since having a tank so any advice on how to reset up is most welcome , obviously the tank is going to be emptyed altho i have asked them to save a little water at the bottom of tank so its not completly emptied , and the fish will travel in a insulated cool box for safety , hoping that this will help keep some of there water and tempature :) .. so my question is ..and ok this may sound silly .. how long after filling water in tank again ..and setting heater etc should i wait till i replace these fish ..and what should i if any put into the tank to make sure the fish is going to be safe , and how long do u think i should wait after setting this tank back up again can i add more fish, the person im buying from isnt going to wash filter etc as i have asked them not too , as far as i know this will be good for the tank .. ... how often should i change 25% of the water too start with then how long afterwards :O)

Thanx for any advice , a oldie but newbie

Sue
Sue:)

Tank Size 48 x 15 x 18 inch
3 x Clown Loach
1 x Golden sucking loach
3 x Platties
2 x Apple snails
10 x neons
Skysters

Re: any advice for a oldie but newby lol

Postby Carylnz » Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:47 am

Assuming the filter media is kept wet, just transfer all to your place, set up, and put everything back in it straight away. Since they are only saving a small amount of water, they will be getting a big water change. Keep an eye on the loaches as they are very prone to white spot and sensitive to the meds so you can only dose at half strength.
Have a good quality test kit on hand (liquid, not strips) so you can keep an eye on ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. If you can find out what pH their current water is and what your tap water pH is, it would help as pH shock can kill.
Sorry this is short but we are just loading the car to head away on holiday!
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby Skysters » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:50 am

Carylnz wrote:Assuming the filter media is kept wet, just transfer all to your place, set up, and put everything back in it straight away. Since they are only saving a small amount of water, they will be getting a big water change. Keep an eye on the loaches as they are very prone to white spot and sensitive to the meds so you can only dose at half strength.
Have a good quality test kit on hand (liquid, not strips) so you can keep an eye on ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. If you can find out what pH their current water is and what your tap water pH is, it would help as pH shock can kill.
Sorry this is short but we are just loading the car to head away on holiday!

have a great holiday and tyyy so much for taking the time out too reply :o) will take all on board :) xx

3 x Clown Loach
1 x Golden sucking loach
3 x Platties
2 x Apple snails
10 x neons
Skysters

Postby ady » Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:19 pm

hi there...and welcome to TTT..

as said if the filter stays wet you should preserve most of the bacteria,which is a real bonus...no need to do the cycle period..

personally i would get the tank set up asap....less time in the transportation boxes is good.although fish are transported for long periods in bags..just reduce the stress of the move as much as you can.those boxes you describe are ideal by the way...helping to maintain a nice water temp.

although time is of the essence it's best not too rush it..as long as you got the site of the tank worked out already and know it fits is a major bonus come move day... :lol: .

the water temp will need to be matched,as i'm sure you are aware...other than that just get everything plugged in and check it's all working fine...check no cables get trapped under cabinets etc etc (done that myself once ).... :crazy4: ....

when you add the fish,same principles apply as ever...float bags with lights off,mix tank and bag water together and gently release..keeping light off for half an hour....just as last time you had fish......

good luck with ya new adventure

ady :)
humans are the only race,with the intelligence to save the earth...shame we have the ignorance to ignore the salvation!!!!!
ady

Postby Skysters » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:47 pm

thanx for all advice .. after bringing home 50 litres of tank water from where we had the tank from lol . the tank is all set up fish put back and all survived altho platty looks abit sorry for her self , sunday night noticed the heater wasnt turning down and my temp was at 29/30 .. so replaced that asap now sitting at 26.5 which is better i think ?, today took a sample of water to a local shop who tested it for me and it was spot on so was well pleased with the results my 3 clown loaches and sucking loaches are wowww! i love watching them ..these were what i was most worried about when we bought second hand but they seam to be feeling quite at home. i have read there nocturnal loaches but mine seam to play quite happily thru the day with light on , when the kids aint about lol .. i had risked adding 12 neons as this would help clowns feel less hidey so i was told and i believe this is the reason they play during the day ..lovely watching them swimming around each other.

So so far so good i have a feeling these fish will do well ,

a question for anyone , hubby mentioned he would like glow stones/pebbles ..and yesh they looks awesome but thoughts on having these in the tank plz ?? good /bad idea ?

3 x Clown Loach
1 x Golden sucking loach
3 x Platties
2 x Apple snails
10 x neons
Skysters

Return to Beginners