Is it true?

New to fishkeeping? This is the place to find out whatever you need to know!

Is it true?

Postby Falcon27 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:04 am

I have read about the fishless cycle. Apart from being more humane towards the fish, I personally like it because I can add all my fish at once after fully cycled. But then I read an article somewhere & it said that I won't be able to add my Corydoras for 2 months after it has fully cycled :shock: Is this true?? Also can I add my plec or do I have to wait aswell?
Falcon27

Re: Is it true?

Postby Angel Fish » Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:28 pm

Yes it's true.
A cycled tank is great for most species of fish, but sensitive types like Cories, Loaches and some Catfish (plus a few other species) need a mature tank - A tank that has remained stable for at least three months with no problems.

It's a pain in the butt, but it's much better for the fish :)
All the advice I give is based on my own personal 30 years of experience.
Main TT Page
Diabetes Forum
Angel Fish

Postby Falcon27 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:42 pm

Do I have to introduce a hardier bottom dwelling fish for the first 3months then? Or there is no need for this
Falcon27

Postby Carylnz » Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:34 pm

For the first 3 months there is nothing for the bottom dwellers to feed on. People think they just eat leftovers the upper level fish missed but this is not so. They constantly graze on algae and other stuff that eventually grow the rocks, substrate and plants. These are missing for the first few months.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby Falcon27 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:38 pm

Will take your advice and add my catfish after 3 months then since I don't want to starve them to death! :shock: Many thanks for your help :wink:
Falcon27

Return to Beginners