Starting over again!

New to fishkeeping? This is the place to find out whatever you need to know!

Starting over again!

Postby workingmum20 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:56 am

Hi, my new 48l tank has arrived and i want to set this one up properly. I am currently cycling a 24l coldwater that i got my son as a birthday present which was brought without me having any knowledge or experience in keeping fish. I fell for the PaHome sales pitch and after a week added a black moor and a small fantail. Both died within a week. Tank is now 6 weeks old and nitrites were 5.0 yesterday with three danios in (was four but one died - blood pooled at base of tail). Having now researched i realise i did everything wrong and the tank is far too small. I will continue cycling it, add a heater and and keep it as a quarantine tank. I want to do a fishless cycle with the new tank (Intrapet 48) BUT i want to plan what i will keep in it for my 4 year old son and need to plan substrate etc carefully. So whilst i have been researching there is so much advice out there i am googled out. I was thinking of going tropical with a sand substrate (Caribsea white sand ok?) and getting 6 pygmy corys and a blue halfmoon Betta. Will the corys be ok in a tank that has just been cycled (will not add any fish until parameters are good)? Does it matter if i add silk plants to the aquarium rather than real ones together with some bogwood? there is conflicting advice on pygmy corys and Bettas but most seem to think it is ok. Sorry for long rambling post but really don't want to kill anymore poor fish :(
workingmum20

Re: Starting over again!

Postby workingmum20 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:03 am

btw i now know the 25l tank is far too small for the gold zebra danios and the 48l is too so i will return them to a better home (the LFS said i could have 4 danios and a goldfish in my 25l!). Oh and is it safe to order fish online? am in Harrow so not sure where decent stockists are.
workingmum20

Re: Starting over again!

Postby ady » Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:16 pm

as you found out PAH are crap at advice...not good....same in all stores i'm afraid...more geared to getting cash in the tills than for your benefit.my local suggested to a customer that 5 silver (bala) sharks would be great in a 54 litre.... :angry: ...

lets hope someone can give you the name of a decent aquarist in your area.....

danios are good to cycle with,i have used mollies before.take it slowly,rushing causes probs and fish deaths..i bet you were told that you an set up the tank,bring in water sample and if ok add fish....this is a total myth...how can the water be bad after 3 days with no fish to mess it up....the bacteria in the filter are the real filter,these are colonised slowly...thats why tank takes months to mature properly....once up and running,leave filter alone,unless flow drops dramatically.then only clean it out in tank water (tap water kills the bacteria you worked so hard to get )..never over clean the filter either,or goodbye to too many bacteria......

good luck with ya new tank....the addiction starts here :lol:
humans are the only race,with the intelligence to save the earth...shame we have the ignorance to ignore the salvation!!!!!
ady

Return to Beginners