Which fish should I add to my tank?

New to fishkeeping? This is the place to find out whatever you need to know!

Which fish should I add to my tank?

Postby Ronnie03 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:04 pm

Hi everyone,

I am a real tropical fish beginner and would love pointing in the right direction as to which fish to put in my tank.

Currently I have 6 danios (3 pearl and 3 zebra) a pair of dwarf gourami and 4 corydora sterbai. I'd like to know what you would recommend to put in next.

My tank is 100 litres, gravel based (although I intend to add some sand for the corydora) with live plants.

I'd like pretty, colourful fish, but obviously their well being comes before their looks!

From browsing tanks at the fish shop I like the look of purple harlequins, rummynose tetra, small plecco, platy and hatchet fish... I'd love a red tailed shark too but have read they can be territorial and harass corydories as they both are bottom dwellers.

I have no idea whether any of the above will live happily with what I already have or how many fish I can fit in my tank comfortably.

Thank you in anticipation for any advice. Please feel free to suggest other options to those I have suggested, as I say I'm new to tropical and want an active, colourful tank to share with my baby daughter (due tomorrow!)

Thank again
Ronnie
Ronnie03

Return to Beginners