Fluval Filter Carbon Mod?

New to fishkeeping? This is the place to find out whatever you need to know!

Fluval Filter Carbon Mod?

Postby daniel.t » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:58 pm

Hi everyone :)
I've always run my tank on an under gravel/power head setup as it was the way my dad has always done it (30 or so years worth I think...).
I've never had any problems with this way of doing things, infact its been a very successful method for me, but while shopping around for new plants and decor over the weekend I found myself a Fluval U2 for the bargain price of £24 and thought why not. Extra filtration and water movement couldn't hurt.

The U2 is classed as a 3 stage filter, with sponge, carbon pad, and bio pellets. Upon researching the net I have found out that the carbon pads are a bit expensive and apparently not very effective.
The central compartment containing the bio pellets isn't very full at all with the amount supplied free with the filter, so my long winded question to you is.....

Can I chuck a load of activated carbon granules on top of the bio media and do away with the carbon pads?
Any other hints, tips or mods you know of to get the best out of this type of filter i.e. better quality bio pellets than fluval brand or anything else along those lines?

daniel.t

Re: Fluval Filter Carbon Mod?

Postby englishmx » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:15 pm

Any specific reason for wanting to use the Carbon? You haven't up to now I assume with your under gravel set up
Mike...
englishmx

Postby daniel.t » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:06 pm

No I hadn't used carbon before. Just done a bit of research in to it since buying the extra filter.
From what I've read there are a fair few advantages to using carbon, and as you can get a big box of the stuff for a few quid, then why not?

So would the bio pellet compartment be a suitable place to put some? Does anyone have a general guide to dosage (grams of carbon per gallon of water) and how often should it be changed?

Also, should the bio pellets only half fill the compartment or should I put more of them in?

Any brands of carbon or bio pellet recommendations?

Thanks.
daniel.t

Postby englishmx » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:44 pm

daniel.t wrote:No I hadn't used carbon before. Just done a bit of research in to it since buying the extra filter.
From what I've read there are a fair few advantages to using carbon, and as you can get a big box of the stuff for a few quid, then why not?

Fair enough, to be honest never really looked into it in any great depth, or used it :wink:

I tried I U2 when they first came out, if I remember correctly space is a bit tight in there :?: , but if there is space, then get a 'filter bag' or make your own with a pair of tights and contain the loose Carbon granuales in that and pop it in the gap where the Carbon cartridge is/was
Mike...
englishmx

Return to Beginners