Puffer Fish Appropriate tank mate??

New to fishkeeping? This is the place to find out whatever you need to know!

Puffer Fish Appropriate tank mate??

Postby chloe1980 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:01 pm

Hi All

I am a relative beginner so here is the background;

I have a 94l tank (square with rounded front)

Current inhabitants are tiger barbs (2 green, 2 normal and 2 ablino) I think they are great all seem happy, always hungery when ever they spot me in the room they go to where I drop the food in... Freaked me out the first night when the greens and tigers lost there color but cam back so quickly once light was on I thought i had done something....

Filternation, I have 2 internal filers Fulval U2 and Tetra EX600 which gives me filtration for a 170ltr tank or so (I got the tank second hand without filter and worked out the literage wrong so then bought a second filter, maidenhead said I might as well have both in there as no such thing as to much :) )

So doing some reading the shoal of tigers should be a minimum of 6 and 9-12 ideally so I will probably get a couple more to bolster the shoal, but how much room does that leave me for other tank mates??

I really like the look of the Dwarf Puffa which I only belive grows to 1 inch, i understand they are aggresive but I did not know if they would be an issue with the Barbs as they are also aggresive. Firstly is there enough space for this fish and secondly would it or the Barbs be ok in a tank toghter??

I also liked the look of the convicts, which I understand are ok with Barbs but my tank may be to small to take them?? I also understand if you get a male and female then they tend to breed alot and become very teritorial.

Any other idea's on tank mates would be greatly recieved.

Looking forward to your thoughts and comments :)
chloe1980

Re: Puffer Fish Appropriate tank mate??

Postby Carylnz » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:30 pm

Both puffers and convicts are not good tank mates for anything. They will attack and eat other inhabitants. Puffers also have special requirements.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Re: Puffer Fish Appropriate tank mate??

Postby chloe1980 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:49 pm

Thanks for that you seemed to be very expericanced looking on the forums what would you suggest?

chloe1980

Return to Beginners