Are they getting any food?

New to fishkeeping? This is the place to find out whatever you need to know!

Are they getting any food?

Postby HBpencil99 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:05 am

Hi,
I have recently added two sunset platy's to my tank and am worried they aren't getting any food as my white clouds are a lot faster. I am adding One crushed flake every other day as I have been advised by my lfs. Any advice would be really greatful thanks :D
54l planted tank
- 6 Silvertip Tetra (2 males + 4 females)
HBpencil99

Re: Are they getting any food?

Postby Rob W » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:52 pm

You need to feed your platys more than flake food. They need either live or frozen bloodworms or fly larvae and some vegetable matter a couple of times a week to supplement the flake food. Try feeding two flakes simultaneously at either end of the tank, drop one in and as soon as it lands on the surface and the minnows nail it, drop the other one in away from the minnows. The platys will learn very quickly, they love food, trust me lol. Pellets is another option for you, the minnows will pick them off and swim around with them in their mouths trying to break them down, that's when you can feed your platys.

If you feed frozen bloodworm or larvae don't give them the whole block, break it in to quarters, a whole one is too much for your stocking level. Drop it into some tank water in a cup to defrost for a few minutes before feeding. :wink:
River Reef 48 x 2
125L Fluval
240L Fluval
Loadsa fish. And shrimps.
Rob W

Re: Are they getting any food?

Postby HBpencil99 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:34 pm

Ok will have a look into that thanks. The problem is that the flake food flows in the current of the filter, the minnows are quick around this but the Platy's find it tricky, also my Lfs have told me not to let the food sink as it won't get eaten and produces nitrate or ammonia, are they right to say this? I will try putting it in at two different ends and see if it works :D
Thanks for the great advice will try it out Thank you :D
54l planted tank
- 6 Silvertip Tetra (2 males + 4 females)
HBpencil99

Return to Beginners