Fishless Cycle

New to fishkeeping? This is the place to find out whatever you need to know!

Fishless Cycle

Postby Falcon27 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:20 am

Hi. This is day 7 of my fishless cycle of my 190L tank. I only got a few plants in at mo. I test every night but last night tested for KH & GH

Last nights tests (Api's liquid) ; Ammonia 5ppm, Nitrite 0, PH 7.4, High PH 7.4, KH 53.7, GH 89.5

I plan to have a community tank with Harlequins, Phantom Tetras, Platies, Rams, Corys, a Plec & an Angelfish.
Do I need to lower my PH from now? :?
After adding the initial dose of ammonia in the tank to raise it to 5ppm, I only had to add more ammonia on 1 occasion and that was 4 days ago. Is this normal?
Falcon27

Re: Fishless Cycle

Postby Falcon27 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:44 pm

Today's tests Ammonia 5ppm & Nitrite still 0. What's going on? :?
Falcon27

Re: Fishless Cycle

Postby straty44 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:13 pm

You haven't built up any filter medium, if you want to cycle your tank in 10 day's ask your lfs for some filter medium, most will give you a squeeze out of one of their tanks filter, place this in your filter with a few fish to keep the medium fed from their poop in the tank, leave your tank for 2 or 3 days and do a 50% water change,(if you see any fish gasping at the top of the tank do an immediate water change), next day do a reading, your tank should be cycled, go buy some fish..........fishless cycles are a pain, do you have some ceramic noodles in your filter??
When you keep fish for love, do it with your heart, not your brain”
straty44

Return to Beginners