three lined cory died after 2 days, why?

New to fishkeeping? This is the place to find out whatever you need to know!

three lined cory died after 2 days, why?

Postby hannibal1987 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:02 pm

I recently added 4 various types of cory's and a bristlenose catfish to go with my 3 neon's and 3 glowlights. after two days i was gutted to discover my three lined cory dead on the bottom of the tank, have checked the ammonia levels, they have gone up to 0.25, surely this cant be enough to kill it. checked everything else, ph levels, nitrates etc.. all is fine. I added them because I had just managed to get the ammonia levels back down to 0, although over the last two weeks a thick luminous green algae has been forming in patches over the gravel, within a day or two of removing it. According to my book this is due to high nitrate levels, yet when I test the nitrate levels they are fine. The other four newbies seem fine as do my tettra's so why has Big C died? :cry:
hannibal1987

Re: three lined cory died after 2 days, why?

Postby Carylnz » Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:57 pm

So you added 4 fish,different species of corys? Corys like to be with the same species of cory and in groups of 3 or more.
Have you got the ammonia back to 0?
It could be that fish was weak or ill to start with or it may have been injured when being caught. You will never know without dissecting it and studying it under a microscope.
Sounds like you have cyanobacter forming due to an imbalance of nutrints. Clean as much out as possible then do a blackout on the tank for 3 days. Do not feed the fish during this time. That may work but whether it is a permanent fix depends on why it was forming in the first place.
How long has the tank been running? Corys need a mature tank.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Re: three lined cory died after 2 days, why?

Postby hannibal1987 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:18 pm

I set the tank up in July and ran a fishless cycle for about 6 weeks, then added the tettras. waited another 4 weeks but struggled to get the ammonia levels down, was another two weeks before i was confident about adding more fish. the tank had been running for 12 weeks before I added the cory's. when I was in the shop there's a woman who owns the store, who seems to know what she was talking about, she said I could get 1 of each of the cory's that i liked for a bit of variety.

I performed a 30% water change after I discovered the dead fish and it seems a lot better, the other fish seem quite happy. I will perform a 10-20% change for the next few days. the Nitrate test I use is a stick one, not sure how reliable it is. reading other peoples forum topics on here, when it's a problem similar to mine, it seems to be the nitrate levels.
hannibal1987

Return to Beginners