Could I add a Blue Ram?

New to fishkeeping? This is the place to find out whatever you need to know!

Could I add a Blue Ram?

Postby Gilian » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:37 pm

I am new to forums and fairly new to the hobby but have done some research. I have a metre long tank, planted into dark soil substrate (Flourite) running a JBL e900 Cristalprofi filter with 145 litres water available. (I actually counted them after rescaping). I have 1 Bristlenose Pleco, 1 Dwarf Flame Gourami, 4 Peppered Corydoras and 6 Kitty Tetras. I would like to add a Blue Ram and maybe some Neon Tetras last. Would this be a good mix? :?:
Gilian

Re: Could I add a Blue Ram?

Postby Carylnz » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:47 am

Rams like a mature tank and excellent water quality so make sure the tank has stabilised completely before adding.
Should be an ok mix but can depend on personalities of some fish. Why only 1 ram? A pair would look good.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby Gilian » Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:48 pm

I was thinking only one because of agression. However after more research and knowing my tank is really goood for tetras I am leaning towards a shoal of blue Emperor Tetra. The cost is about quits for a single ram or 12 Tetra which would make a lovely shoal. The tank is mature and weekly testing shows ammonia, nitrate, nitrite etc are in the right perameters. I have been stocking this tank very slowly and looking in two fish shops at what I like, then researching the fish at home before I buy. The only one that was a must have now, was my lovely pleco and I have built the rest of the inhabitants and the tank to his requirements.
Gilian

Postby Gilian » Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:42 pm

I have just read one of your posts and saw that my lovely bristlenose id not a pleco, but a catfish. I swear younlearn somthing every day with this hobby. So now I know.
Gilian

Postby Carylnz » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:18 pm

Yes, the bristlenose is often referred to as a plec but it is an Ancistrus sp catfish.
The blue Emperors are lovely. Good to see someone researching thoroughly first! :mrgreen:
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Return to Beginners