Bullying Guppys

New to fishkeeping? This is the place to find out whatever you need to know!

Bullying Guppys

Postby meljy1 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:22 pm

Hi

I am new to keeping fish I have had my new fish in my tank now for three weeks. I have two gupppys, both with bright tails, and one silver and one dalmation molly which are very small.

The two guppys which I belive are males have been fighting one and off for a week or two, sometimes they go most of the day quietly and others they are chasing each other and going nose to nose. Today I have noticed one of the tails on a guppy has been split. I am worried that they are bullying each other, hurting each other and also I am worried for the mollies.

I have changed the water in a new tank as directed PH is 7.8 and have used all the right products advised. Please help!
meljy1

Re: Bullying Guppys

Postby Carylnz » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:29 am

The male guppies will be fighting for dominance. It might help them calm down a bit if you add another male, or they may calm down once one has shown who's the boss. They often get split fins and these are nothing to worry about if you keep the water in good condition. They will heal themselves. They can split for no reason at all, or from a rock or driftwood catching them.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Re: Bullying Guppys

Postby meljy1 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:56 pm

Thank you for that I was getting concerned! I will keep an eye on them and hopefully they will settle down.
meljy1

Return to Beginners