pregnant guppies

New to fishkeeping? This is the place to find out whatever you need to know!

pregnant guppies

Postby lloyd-turner » Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:28 pm

HOW DO I KNOW WHEN ONE OF MY GUPPIES ARE PREGNANT. INEED TO KNOW WHEN TO PUT THEMIN THE NURSERY.
lloyd-turner

Re: pregnant guppies

Postby orange guppy » Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:44 pm

Hi
Female guppies have a black spot on them called a gravid spot (searching on google etc will find pictures). This spot gets bigger and a couple of days before they drop the fry you can usually see the eyes of the fry, howver if you move heavily pregnant guppies they need to be moved in water not netted, and even then the stress of moving could cause them to abort the fry. Also depending on how many fry you want its fine to leave them in their normal aquarium and usually a few survive off each drop otherwise expect 10 + fry about every 25 ish days .

Hope this helps
10 gall - Guppies
12 gall Guppies
30 gall- Guppies
Kept Guppies 2004-2007 + 2011-
orange guppy

Postby lloyd-turner » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:36 am

THANKS VERY MUCH ORANGE GUPPY. AS YOU PROBALY CAN SEE I AM A COMPLETE NOVICE.
lloyd-turner

Postby Carylnz » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:50 am

It is probably safe to say that if it is a female guppy then it is pregnant :mrgreen:
They are not called "The Millions Fish" for nothing!
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby ady » Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:29 pm

i've got 3 females in the nursery now.....big black/grey spot on em...will drop soon.

as said be careful moving them,even putting live bearers in a breeding trap will stress them out.a breeding net is better,but still not ideal....

you will get over run with em if you remove all the females every time.i have got mine out this time,but will leave it too nature next time.with lots of hiding places,plant cover in the tank,the strongest should survive..

angels love fry of live bearers,so they will keep them in check aswell.but it depends on tank size if you can keep an angelfish.

my pair (just lost one) :( ...kept the fry in check in my 4 footer..

water quality has to be high in the nursery,for the fry to thrive and develop.my 54 litre gets regular water changes now..,as the amount of fry grows.although as the adult fish are removed the bio load will reduce in the tank.the fry will grow quickly with the right feeding and cleaning.

good luck
humans are the only race,with the intelligence to save the earth...shame we have the ignorance to ignore the salvation!!!!!
ady

Postby ady » Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:52 am

i now have a cloud of fry.....the females are back in the main tank now...just the platy left to drop...

i'm feeding with liquifry and finely crushed flake......the liquifry food will only be used for the first 3-4 days

:santa:
humans are the only race,with the intelligence to save the earth...shame we have the ignorance to ignore the salvation!!!!!
ady

Postby Carylnz » Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:05 pm

I have never bothered with liquifry for livebearers as they are big enough to take finely crushed (between the thumb and finger) flake.
Congrats on the fry Ady.
Carylnz

Postby ady » Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:02 pm

cheers.....only use it to kick start the microscopic food stuffs really.......and to give em a good start to life..
ady

Postby ady » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:19 pm

i have dispensed with the liquifry totally now....

the little uns' are munching away quite happily on finely crushed flake and brine shrimp eggs.growing well ...

:)
ady

Postby ady » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:35 pm

One of the remales seems to have a constant gravidspot.
She has just dropped a load more tiny fry.but still has a large gravid spot.
I did notice her giving birth yesterday.it looked like a fry was stuck.
Head was out,butdidnt wanna join his siblings.
After 5 mins it came out but sank to bottom,dead.fry tank now has
Guppies at 3 stages of development and some platies.
ady

Postby fishhoarder » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:55 am

I have no clue when my guppies are about to drop, I have 2 and they have been roughly the same weight since I got them but the fluctuate and they do have a gravid spot but my guppies are spastic and dont know how to sit still for a photo, they have been like this since I got them from the pet shop like they are right now and I estimated that they should drop this weekend but I have no clue. I have a male in with them so they should be pregnant either way. Please give me an idea of when they should drop because none of the youtube clips give me any idea of what they should be like and I want them in another tank to birth in.

fishhoarder

Postby Carylnz » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:24 am

They will drop every 4 - 6 weeks. If you wait until they are almost due to move them then they are likely to abort. Better to leave them in the same tank but have plenty of fine leaved plants for the fry to hide in.
They get really big and look like they are about to burst when they are due. Many speak of the gravid spot becoming large and dark but I have never noticed much difference and it varies depending on the main colouration of the guppy.
Carylnz

Postby fishhoarder » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:50 am

The only problem is, is that it is a 2ft community tank and most the fish will eat the fry by the time the come out, I got told to transport the females via a glass so they are still swimming and in water... I am going to be getting lots of plants soon. Any suggestions? Currently I have a ceramic pot with just small braod leaf growing and my rainbow shark loves to hide inside, I also have a small amount of that green thin grass moss thing growing, this stuff grows so fast!!!
fishhoarder

Postby Carylnz » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:40 pm

That idea using the glass to move her is correct. It is lifting the fish out of the water that causes stress.
Why do you want to save the fry? Considering how many fry guppy can produce, if you save them all you will be over-run within a few months. If she gives birth in the community tank you might get 3 or 4 survive per drop. A much more manageable number.
Ambulia, cabomba, water sprite, Indian fern and Java moss (that green thin grass moss thing?) are all excellent for fry to hide in.
Your 2ft is not big enough for a rainbow shark. They need a minimum of 3ft. What else do you have in there?
Carylnz

Postby fishhoarder » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:17 pm

I understand about the size sharks can get up to as I have been keeping fish my entire life (I am now 18) and I am willing to buy a massive tank when the time comes because I am very dedicated to my fish. The only thing is breeding which I would like to take on as a new hobby, this interest only really started to kick in when I had two amazing angel fish and I noticed that there were eggs on my plant but none of the fry survived no matter what i did to save them. :D Currently in my tank I also have a silver shark, three guppies, two dwarf guoramies both male but different sub species , two albino corydoras and red eye tetra that I have had for ages so I call him dinosaur. My tanks water is perfect with the PH, high range PH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate. A few months ago I had a massive out break of some disease that was killing all my fish slowly but i didn't know what it was and my water was fine, so I humanly killed the fish that looked sick and kept only four of my fish in the end when had 12 together. I quarantined everything in the tank and threw all my plants and used medicine for the remaining fish. I left them in a separate tank to where the out burst happened for a few days of treatment as the tank did cycles now it is thriving and I am keeping a close eye on the fish for any sign of sickness. I got the precious fish from a pet shop down in the city because they were cheap and the place did look kind of nice. Big Mistake! Never going back there. (I know it was that shop because my aunt got fish there to that killed her fish an obviously those fish died to. :angry:
fishhoarder

Return to Beginners