New to tropical fish

New to fishkeeping? This is the place to find out whatever you need to know!

New to tropical fish

Postby Alive_Inside » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:20 pm

Hi all

I'm in the process of setting up my first tropical fish tank and am in need of some advice about which fish to keep, ornaments, plants, gravel etc etc, basically everything I need for a first tank.

I'm after either a Juwel Rio 180 (if I have the space!), or a Juwel Rio 125 or Juwel Lido 120.

With regards to fish I would like 4 fairly large fish (mainly 1 red tailed shark), some smaller fish and some algae eaters. Plus a miniature lobster or 2.

My questions are:

Which fish will live happily with the red tailed shark?
    What plants do I need?
    Can I get coral?

Basically, I need to know everything to get this tank up and running :) I want the tank to have pretty fish, some slightly more unusual.

I've searched the net but getting confused as many sites are US (so use gallons) and I'm not familiar with the classifications of certain fish.

Many thanks.
Juwel Rio 180 in progress
Alive_Inside

Re: New to tropical fish

Postby IndianoAnnie » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:35 pm

hii,
I cant give you loads of info as i have only being doing this about 2 and a half months my self but this froum is verrrrryyy helpful as i got onfused from what i read elsewhere too. Reguarding algae eaters I have heard siamese algae eaters are supposed tom be good and also shrimp (i intend to get shimp when tanks mature enough), plecs are supposed to be notorious pooers so they do get rid of alge but the poo just as much. Im not sure what fish will live with red tails thats for someone else to answer, Sorrry :) .

Reguarding plants java moss and furn are supposed to be easy, i have some moss, i also have vallis they are good easy plants, Im sure anything classed as a bunch plant are good to grow for beginners, also amazon sword and Wisteria.
Im sure i read somewhere on here that it gets hard if your want to add coral (complicated). Im not 100% ,im sure someone on here will give more info than i can. Hope this helps :)
Thanks,
Annie :)

55L planted
Red cherry shrimp
Cycled
Newbie-ish :)
IndianoAnnie

Postby Rob W » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:45 pm

It's not a case of what fish will live happily with a RTS, it's the RTS that won't live happily with anything at all, very aggressive and territorial. Some of the larger cichlids will be OK with one, rainbow fish maybe, larger catfish which aren't popular because they are mostly nocturnal. Siamese Algae Eaters are shark-like in appearance, a RTS will pester the hell out of them unfortunately. Small fish with large cichlids is a big negative, they will scoff tetras no bother.

Plants don't do so well with larger fish, the leafy hardy varieties are probably best otherwise the fish will hammer them. I hate artificial plants but there are some good ones out there. Coral? You could always have the artificial coral, real stuff is out of the question in a freshwater setup. Live coral will die and leech off some nasty toxins and play havoc with your filtration.

Substrate - anything goes! Choose a colour, size, gravel, sand, pebbles etc. I got a bag of pea gravel for £3.00 from the local DIY store, the equivalent from the local aquatics would have been about £50. Best to have a design in mind before committing to buying anything so you avoid buying stuff that you don't need or doesn't fit in with the plants or fish you want.

Other than that, read and read some more. And when you have done that read it again lol. Good luck. :)
River Reef 48 x 2
125L Fluval
240L Fluval
Loadsa fish. And shrimps.
Rob W

Postby Alive_Inside » Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:51 pm

Thank you for your replies. Over the past week or so I have been researching fish thoroughly and stumbled across this site aquatics to your door

I gave them a call and I have to say, they were extremly helpful. So, I have decided to go for this pack of fish Tropical Starter Pack and these plants Tropical Plants (15) Christmas Special!

That's my fish and plants taken care of. Now to find some suitable gravel and background. The black sparkly gravel has certainly caught my eye but am now tempted to get the pea gravel as it's much cheaper :)

I didn't realise that the initial starting phase would be so difficult!
Alive_Inside

Postby Alive_Inside » Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:18 pm

Was also thinking about grabbing some of these Snail Eating Cleaner Pack and a couple these little critters Aquatic Frog, which I assume is the same as a Dwarf African Aquatic Frog
Alive_Inside

Postby orange guppy » Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:35 pm

Hi,

I don't know if you mentioned this at any point before, but have you read up on cycling your tank and water testing? If you haven't there are guides on this site and over the internet, but it is a majorly important part of fish keeping.

Hope this is helpful and I haven't totally missed anything as I'm reading it on my phone :)
10 gall - Guppies
12 gall Guppies
30 gall- Guppies
Kept Guppies 2004-2007 + 2011-
orange guppy

Postby Alive_Inside » Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:39 pm

orange guppy wrote:<snip>..........but have you read up on cycling your tank and water testing?</snip>

Yes I have been reading up on cycling and testing. From my understanding the tank is filled after adding substrate, plants, gravel, bogwood, ornaments etc and left for a few weeks or so, checking the ammonia and nitrate levels?

Also, how easy is it to change the water and how often?
Alive_Inside

Postby Carylnz » Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:06 pm

"From my understanding the tank is filled after adding substrate, plants, gravel, bogwood, ornaments etc and left for a few weeks or so, checking the ammonia and nitrate levels?"
That is a very basic understanding but leaves a lot out. You need to decide if you are fish or fishless cycling. Adding water to a tank and leaving it a few weeks (whether it has substrate, plants, gravel, bogwood and ornaments etc) will do nothing. You need an ammonia source.
The key to cycling is to add the fish a few at a time, over a length of time.
How easy it is to change water depends on your age, level of fitness, and how close you are to a water source.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby Alive_Inside » Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:48 pm

Carylnz wrote:<snip> You need to decide if you are fish or fishless cycling. Adding water to a tank and leaving it a few weeks (whether it has substrate, plants, gravel, bogwood and ornaments etc) will do nothing. You need an ammonia source.
The key to cycling is to add the fish a few at a time, over a length of time.
How easy it is to change water depends on your age, level of fitness, and how close you are to a water source.</snip>

This is a list of fish that I will be receiving in the starter pack:

4x Tiger Barbs
4x Green Tiger Barbs
4x Dwarf Neon Rainbow
2x Angelfish
1x Red Tail Black Shark

I assume it's not a wise idea to put all 15 fish in the tank at the same time? Perhaps an idea would be to get this pack in smaller quantities at a time? I'm only choosing this pack as it's a special deal at £42.99. So, I will be fish cycling.

As for water changing. Well, I'm 37, in good health and am in a flat. The tank will be approx 8 foot from the nearest water source.
Alive_Inside

Postby Carylnz » Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:55 pm

Defintely do not put all those fish in at once. If a shop is selling them as a "Starter Pack" then they should be shot!
Add 4 barbs. After 1 month, if all is well, add anothr 4 barbs. If all is well after another month, add the 4 dwarf neons. Add the angels last.
I would not add a red tail shark to that tank. They are fine when they are young but can get more aggressive as they age, especially in a tank less than 4ft.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Return to Beginners