New Set Up!

New to fishkeeping? This is the place to find out whatever you need to know!

New Set Up!

Postby Scotty_Gilk_82 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:22 am

Soon looking to get a tank at least 3 foot, 140 litres. Type of fish I'm interested in getting are: Angel fish, plec, clown loach, cardinal tetras, red tail shark, mollys, platys.I don't intend to rush procedures 1 bit, I'm more concerned to getting the tank set up how I like 1st but i'd like to be recommended suitable combinations in terms of numbers. I'm aware I can't have them all, but would like to know people's previous experiences with these types of fish, thanks.
Scotty_Gilk_82

Re: New Set Up!

Postby Carylnz » Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:09 am

Fish like angels and red tailed sharks are territorial. Their territory is about 3ft. I think you can see the issues that will arise if your tank is only 3ft and they try to defend their territory :?
If you mean a proper plec, these grow way too large for a 3ft tank. If you actually meant an Ancistrus catfish (aka bristlenose) then they will be ideal. I would suggest 3.
Clown loaches also need larger than a 3ft and like to be in groups of 5 or more.
Mollies and platies are good. Remember they are livebearers so if you have both sexes, make sure the ratio is 1 male to 2 or more females. They will breed every 4 - 6 weeks too so will soon fill the tank.
Cardinal tetras are also good and the more the merrier. Preferably 6 minimum.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby Scotty_Gilk_82 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:04 pm

Cheers Carlynz, I might well stretch to 4 foot. Really want a plec eventually, and may even splash out on a fancy 1 like a tiger plec that don't grow so big. As for cardinal tetras, I hope tO have at least a dozen as they shoal well. Shame about the clown loach, I suspected I wouldn't get away with those, so maybe some Khuli or Pakistan loach instead. You sure 2 angels or 1 shark wouldn't be ok? What about parrot cichlids? I assume these are aggressive though? Cheers.
Scotty_Gilk_82

Postby Carylnz » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:07 pm

I have no personal experience with parrot cichlids but would not recommend them because I think they are ugly :mrgreen:
I assume you mean the various blood parrots and these are man-made hybrids. They can grow up to 20cm so unsuitable for a 3ft I would have thought. I am really against this type of fish. There are so many beautiful fish to choose from, why artificially produce these things?
Angels can be hit and miss. A lot depends on the personality of the angel. Some are fine and others rip into everything that moves - and would possibly eat the cardinals. They do eat neons but they are smaller. If you got 2 and they paired up, they would keep spawning and attacking anything that came near. Hard not to do in only 3ft of space.
The red tail sharks seem fine for a couple of years then often get very nasty. I suspect it depends on the sex of the fish but one day they are fine and the next you wake up to dead and/or missing fish.
Carylnz

Postby Scotty_Gilk_82 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:49 am

Cheers Carlynz, will try and get a 4 foot but will keep you posted with details. Doubt I'll be adding any fish till the new year.
Scotty_Gilk_82

Postby Carylnz » Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:07 am

Bigger is better :wink:
Carylnz

Return to Beginners