Just bought a 270litre tank

New to fishkeeping? This is the place to find out whatever you need to know!

Just bought a 270litre tank

Postby Ryan1uk » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:39 pm

Hi

I am new to this forum and wanted to say hello :cheeky: Today I bought a second hand 60x18x18" tank with stand, this is my first ever fish tank. Just filled it up to make sure it is water tight and fingers crossed everything is fine so far. Years ago it was used as a marine tank but has stood in a garage for a few years. Also a light came with it. Its about 3ft long and really heavy and has 3 different type of lights. There is a website on it but its German, bio-pur.de so not sure if that could be used for a tropical tank? :? Also I was wondering is there anyway to reinforce the stand as I am worried it will collapse?

Tomorrow morning I am aiming to empty the tank and give it a good clean with white vinegar and re-paint the stand. I was wondering if anyone can recommend a good external filter and heater and if possible a filter and heater in one, if you can get them that is.

Thankyou for your time and looking forward to the replys. (please :P)
Ryan
:santa:
Ryan1uk

Re: Just bought a 270litre tank

Postby Carylnz » Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:06 am

Hi Ryan. I am confused. 60 x 18 x 18" and then you state it is about 3ft long??
Assuming it is just a rectangular tank, it doesn't matter if it was used as a marine before.
Clean well with the vinegar or I like to use salt also. Rinse very well.
If it has stood empty a few years it will pay to check the silicone is still good. Push your fingertip into it. It should feel slightly springy or move a little. If it is stiff, then do not trust it. Silicone deteriorates over time, especially if the tank has been empty. It might look fine then suddenly give way.
You may need new light tubes as it may have marine lights on it and these differ to tropical.
When I put the website into Google it asked if I wanted it translated so I said yes. Easy to read after that :wink:
I will not recommend any filters as I live in a different country so what we have differs from what is available to you.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby ady » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:42 am

i run a fluval 405 in a 250 litre....the new versions are the 06's....not sure of their recommended tank size tho....a bit of research will reveal it. :)

i have found the fluvals to be very reliable and do an excellent job...only thing i would say is keep a spare impellor cover,coz they can get brittle after awhile...and can snap without warning during cleaning...like mine did 2 weeks ago....40 mile round trip dash to ipswich for ady... :crazy4:

my dad who kept/bred fish for 30 + years loved eheims..

depends on ya budget and personal preference....

welcome to TTT....

good luck
humans are the only race,with the intelligence to save the earth...shame we have the ignorance to ignore the salvation!!!!!
ady

Postby Ryan1uk » Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:02 pm

Carylnz wrote:Hi Ryan. I am confused. 60 x 18 x 18" and then you state it is about 3ft long??
Assuming it is just a rectangular tank, it doesn't matter if it was used as a marine before.
Clean well with the vinegar or I like to use salt also. Rinse very well.
If it has stood empty a few years it will pay to check the silicone is still good. Push your fingertip into it. It should feel slightly springy or move a little. If it is stiff, then do not trust it. Silicone deteriorates over time, especially if the tank has been empty. It might look fine then suddenly give way.
You may need new light tubes as it may have marine lights on it and these differ to tropical.
When I put the website into Google it asked if I wanted it translated so I said yes. Easy to read after that :wink:
I will not recommend any filters as I live in a different country so what we have differs from what is available to you.

Thankyou very much for the reply. Sorry the light is 3ft long. The silicone seems springy but is there any way to add more to make it more secure?

ady wrote:i run a fluval 405 in a 250 litre....the new versions are the 06's....not sure of their recommended tank size tho....a bit of research will reveal it. :)

i have found the fluvals to be very reliable and do an excellent job...only thing i would say is keep a spare impellor cover,coz they can get brittle after awhile...and can snap without warning during cleaning...like mine did 2 weeks ago....40 mile round trip dash to ipswich for ady... :crazy4:

my dad who kept/bred fish for 30 + years loved eheims..

depends on ya budget and personal preference....

welcome to TTT....

good luck

Thankyou for the reply. I will have a look at the Fluval and Eheims :)

How this filter http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1000L-H-9w-UV ... 2a15c4a678
Ryan1uk

Postby markee » Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:49 pm

I've seen a few posts around the net about the AllPonds filters & they mostly say good things & seem good for the price. I've never had one myself so i couldn't say for sure, i'm a Fluval man myself & run two 405's on my 5ft tank. What you stock your tank with will also influence the size of the filter you buy :wink:
markee

Postby Ryan1uk » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:11 pm

markee wrote:I've seen a few posts around the net about the AllPonds filters & they mostly say good things & seem good for the price. I've never had one myself so i couldn't say for sure, i'm a Fluval man myself & run two 405's on my 5ft tank. What you stock your tank with will also influence the size of the filter you buy :wink:

Thankyou very much for the reply. I was wondering if there is a formula to use to know which filter size to use.
Ryan1uk

Postby Carylnz » Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:48 pm

Most filters have the suggested tank size they are suited for on their packaging. Just remember the rates are for water and an empty tank. They do not take into account any head height, if the filter is at a different height to the tank, or buildup of crud in the joints and hoses. Therefore, always buy bigger than you need.
The only way to improve silicone is to totally remove it and re-seal.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby ady » Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:57 pm

im in same boat as markee...never used one of them but havent heard anything bad about em either....they seem to be bringing out some good stuff at a good price.....they got 7.8ft tank on there website....NICE.....but would get shot if i put that in the lounge :rofl:

it maybe a great starter for you...then if you want to upgrade and keep as a spare then you can..i've got a 205 as back up,in case the worse happens...
humans are the only race,with the intelligence to save the earth...shame we have the ignorance to ignore the salvation!!!!!
ady

Return to Beginners