Dirty tank

New to fishkeeping? This is the place to find out whatever you need to know!

Dirty tank

Postby f77ms » Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:56 pm

I have discoverd that my filter has not been working properly and everything in the tanks is covered in brown mucky stuff, including the gravel . I have bought a Fluval this morning and put it in next to the old filter.
Is it OK to leave the old filter switched off , should I do a major clean ie try to take some of the gravel out to wash it as the gravel cleaner doesnt seem to to a particularly thorough job and it is really bad. Is it OK to run the new filter sponge under the tap as it is brown already ( two hours in the tank )
I am just really worried about the fish although they do seem OK at present
I have in the tank
5 neons
6 danios
4 platys
4 baby platys
3 corydorus
2 mollies
I also noticed this morning that all the fish except the corys were at the top of the tank ( not enough oxygen?) they are much more lively now .
Any advice would be welcome
f77ms

Re: Dirty tank

Postby ChrisJ95 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:06 pm

How long has the tank been set up for?
ChrisJ95

Postby SparkyST » Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:28 am

Don't wash filters under the tap you will kill all the bacteria and will have to cycle your tank again. Rinse them in old tank water.
SparkyST

Postby ady » Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:24 pm

personally i would remove the knackered filter,the crud will start to foul the water as it switched off.

if the tank and water that bad,i would do a strip down to remove the crud.....because if it clogging filter media that quick.it must be bad...

as said never wash mature filter media in tap water,the chloramine will destroy the good bacteria....but if it is a new filter with immature media and lots of crud...i dont think you will loose any bacteria,washing under a tap as it not established a colony yet.

you will need to do a massive water cghange at least.....also you will have to treat the tank as a new set up now and complete the cycle method all over again.fish in cycle this time means lots more frequent water changes to ensure water parameters stay good whilst cycling and growing the bacteria colony again.this will keep the fish happy and alive.....dont add anymore fish and keep feeding light for awhile,again to help the water quality..

it's not the best idea to do a total water change,raw sterile water is lovely and clean but may shock ya fish....

do you know anyone else nearby with a tank...a filter squeeze from a mature filter will do a major favour,in recovering your bacteria stocks,thus helping speed up the cycle.

the fish at the top normally suggests high ammonia in your water,so do a major change with tap safe now....this will dilute the levels immediately...i would do the change as a part of a major clean up.....

if you have to scrub stuff up remember to use a sponge that is brand new and never had any cleaning chemical near it.

do you have a gravel vac ?...is so use that to remove the water and in turn you will remove loads of the crud....

over the next few days you will have to keep up the changes to reduce the ammonia etc....

do you have a test kit to find out the current levels ??

i've just had to sort out an internal filter in my breeding tank,it had tripped it's anti clogging feature.....

if you got new filter running,i would ensure there is a lot of surface aggitation to increase the oxygen levels in the water....

hope this helps ya in ya time of need......good luck

ady
humans are the only race,with the intelligence to save the earth...shame we have the ignorance to ignore the salvation!!!!!
ady

Postby f77ms » Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:06 pm

Thanks so much for all the advice which I have followed .
I have had the tank set up since June so not long . Will also invest in a battery powered gravel cleaner tomorrow . My son has fish so will be able to get a sqeeze from him. He came yesterday and did a good strip down clean and also got the old filter going to a degree so will keep it in for now .
I am amazed that the fish are all still OK and would be devastated to lose any of them through my own fault in not realising the filter wasnt working .
I will closely monitor the water now and check that everything is working OK . Did major water change yesterday 20% ,
Is it the right thing to do this every third day( or more often) ?
Keeping my fingers crossed that the fish remain OK
Cheers fay
f77ms

Postby SparkyST » Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:57 am

I wouldn't bother with a battery gravel filter. A normal one will be just fine.

As for water changes. If ammonia and nitrite levels are high then do frequent water changes. If levels are ok I tend to do a water change once a week.
SparkyST

Postby ady » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:57 pm

i only use a manual gravel vac....cant be bothered with the battery stuff....mite be me being tight :roll: ... :lol:

glad you got access to a squeeze..this will help the recovery loads,which is a major bonus.

as you say you have had a good clean out in the tank,i would still keep up with a few water changes.just to be sure there isnt no nasty stuff building up..

a couple of 25% changes over the next week should be sufficent.but if you can check with a test kit it will put ya mind at rest a fair bit.without exact figures it's hard to be definate on the amount/frequency.although you will have already done a major changhe during the clean up..better to be safe than sorry.if you dont have a kit,you will have to keep an eye on your fish's behaviour..they will let you know if anything wrong......itching/rubbing against gravel or all up the top of the tank,for example.

it sounds like you are over the worst now tho.so good luck.any probs just ask away here...someone's bound to be able to offer advice...
humans are the only race,with the intelligence to save the earth...shame we have the ignorance to ignore the salvation!!!!!
ady

Return to Beginners