Is buying fish online safe and reliable?

New to fishkeeping? This is the place to find out whatever you need to know!

Is buying fish online safe and reliable?

Postby hannibal1987 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:15 pm

Ive been wanting to add a male siamese fighter and a couple of dwarf frogs to my aquarium for a while but my lfs's haven't had them in stock for a while, and says they only get 1/3rd of what they order each week. on the websites I have looked at, they do seem to have a wider selection than the few shops in my area. they do seem a little more expensive though.

Does anyone have any experience with online stores, are these online stores reliable? do they send what you've ordered and healthy fish/frogs etc?
hannibal1987

Re: Is buying fish online safe and reliable?

Postby englishmx » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:06 pm

hannibal1987 wrote:Does anyone have any experience with online stores, are these online stores reliable? do they send what you've ordered and healthy fish/frogs etc?

No problem at all, heat pads, polystyrene boxes, triple bagged, overnight delivery etc.. providing you use a reputable source. This place comes well recommended and they usually have an extensive varied stock list

http://www.trimar.co.uk/
Mike...
englishmx

Postby Rob W » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:08 pm

Fish transport very well as it happens. I work for Royal Mail and very often I deliver tropical fish, plenty of people out there buying online. The transport costs would kill it for me though, OK if there's a specific fish you want that you can't get locally or if you live miles from an aquatics shop. Last lot I delivered were freshwater lobsters, told the lady I kept fish and asked if I could have a quick peek at them, they were fine. :)
River Reef 48 x 2
125L Fluval
240L Fluval
Loadsa fish. And shrimps.
Rob W

Postby markee » Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:23 pm

I prefer to purchase from a shop as i like to see what i'm buying, and as Rob says, you save on postage costs. I have however bought online, from Tri-mar and Wildwoods, with both providing a great service & good stock. Wildwoods emailed me a picture from their tanks of the fish i was buying, which was an added bonus.
markee

Postby brodie » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:20 am

Hi every one ... !
Well i have a experienced and am sad to inform you that it was nothing other than illusion , never buy fish online .We should must check fish before buying this
brodie

Postby Carylnz » Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:32 pm

I think a lot depends on the company from which you purchased the fish and the country you are in. Do not let one bad experience put you off.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Return to Beginners