Very new to this hobby please help

New to fishkeeping? This is the place to find out whatever you need to know!

Very new to this hobby please help

Postby Fishingforinfo » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:04 am

Hello I have very recently set up a 34ltr tank and added two Honey Gouramis (no idea if male or female) and on Saturday we added 5 guppies ( 2 different types but not sure of their names). They all seem quite happy for the time being and I believe the tank is going through cycling.
We slightly got carried away on Saturday and also bought a bigger tank, it's a Fluval Roma 240, with an external fluval 306 filter and a 300w fluval heater.
We have set it up with rocks and plants and waiting a few days before we start adding fish. My questions are:

Would you leave the Gouramis and Guppies where they are and let them go through the cycling in the smaller tank
What and how many fish should I add in the bigger tank to start the cycling
I would like a few bigger colourful fish ( like the discus but the more I read about them the less confident I am?), any ideas?
When should I transfer the Gourami and the Guppies in the bigger tank

I was thinking of using the smaller tank for just neons?

Any help, suggestions and recommendations would be very greatly appreciated.
Thank you
Fishingforinfo

Re: Very new to this hobby please help

Postby wilfy » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:23 am

you wont cycle a tank in a few days ,check out the posts on this forum ,and id say no to discus, they ant the easyest fish to keep, even for a pro fish keeper,and some one new to it would be out if there depth ,and they ant cheap,save youeself some mony and pain ,try a comunity tank set up ,and learn the ropes,befor going headlong into a desaster and putting youeself off,keeping fish is a great hobby ,but its also a lifetime comitment of learning,if you get hooked ,so to speek,TTT is a great site, with a larg amount of people, with years of knolage ,use it ,it will allways have someone, that might be able to help ,or give addvice ,we dont always have to take it ,but its there if we need .and dont be afraid to ask ,no mater how daft the question might sound,part of the fun of learning. :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:
wilfy

Postby Carylnz » Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:45 am

Would you leave the Gouramis and Guppies where they are and let them go through the cycling in the smaller tank?
Only if they were staying in the smaller tank. If going into the larger one then add them there now and cycle with a larger water volume. Less stressful on the fish. DO NOT ADD ANY MORE FISH YET!!!
Preferably put them in the larger tank as you have too many to cycle with fish in the 34L. Gouramis are not suitable for cycling either, especially honey dwarfs as they are very sensitive to water quality and have a habit of dying suddenly anyway :?

What and how many fish should I add in the bigger tank to start the cycling?
Why not put both filters on the larger tank and cycle both at once? Then remove the second filter and put it on the other tank. Much less stress on the fish.

I would like a few bigger colourful fish ( like the discus but the more I read about them the less confident I am?), any ideas?
As said, considering your start, I would not suggest discus until you have more experience under your belt. Have a look at Boesemani rainbowfish, or lace or pearl gouramis (bigger than dwarf varieties). Golden barbs are also large and look great in a good sized school.

When should I transfer the Gourami and the Guppies in the bigger tank?
See above

I was thinking of using the smaller tank for just neons?
That would look nice. You could add a Siamese fighter.
Cherry barbs would suit as would Hengeli rasboras. The guppies are fine in that size too.
Remember that guppies are live bearers and if you have females you will have a new batch of fry every 4 - 6 weeks.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby Fishingforinfo » Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:15 pm

Thank you so much for your advice. I will be moving them to the bigger tank and will not add any more fish until the tank has finished cycling. Hopefully the Gouramis will survive through it. Got them from Pets at Home and they recommended them as cycling fish!! Say it all!
Have since found a better place to get the fish from!! I'm sure I will have plenty more questions in the coming weeks.
Wish me luck :wink:
Fishingforinfo

Postby Carylnz » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:02 pm

Good luck :mrgreen:
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby ady » Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:35 pm

avoid PAH advice...i stopped a young lad being sold 5 silver(bala) sharks a few months ago...they were going into a 2 ft tank and these grow to over a foot.....and no good for cycling.shocking advice really......

i would also get the fish into the bigger tank...it will be so much easier to maintain the water quality during the cycle..

as said above,dont add any more fish.....the bacteria in the filter has to develop,that is the true filter.....yes the media filter in the true sense but the bacteria deals with the toxins produced by the fish....

have a good read thru all the beginner posts,you will glean loads of useful advice form there.

i have always done the fish in cycyle,but with the benefit of a an established filter media squueze.

i would invest in a liquid test kit to make sure on ya water quality.

i see youhavea fluval 306.....i have 405 and 205's.....great bit of kit....as with all filters the specific media designed for it can get expensive.....i bulk up my filter with sections of pond sponges cut to size..although i do have ceramic rings in there as well...works a treat....

welcome to the forum and the hobby....it's addictive :rofl:
humans are the only race,with the intelligence to save the earth...shame we have the ignorance to ignore the salvation!!!!!
ady

Return to Beginners