DIY lighting advice

New to fishkeeping? This is the place to find out whatever you need to know!

DIY lighting advice

Postby Ryan1uk » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:26 pm

Hi

I recently bought my wife a 75l fish tank. The trouble is the 2 11w lights keep flickering. I have taken it apart but there is no starter. I have looked online for ballasts but not got a clue what I am looking for.

I am looking for a cheap alternative lighting that could be fixed to the hood but really needs to be cheap under the £20 mark and was wondering if anybody can help. All she wants in the tank is neons and some rocks.

Thankyou very much in advance :)
Ryan1uk

Re: DIY lighting advice

Postby chopper » Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:46 pm

i had same problem and bought something like this

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=strip+ ... s:100,i:37

think it was just under a tenner and comes with 2 clips i just screwed into the hood been perfect since
chopper

Re: DIY lighting advice

Postby ady » Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:25 pm

you can get some great LED lights on ebay......but dpnt get the cheap one's form abroad.....i bought a set for my 2 footer.

they totally waterproof,so can be placed in the tank,or as i did,i bought some aquarium silicone and stuck it into the lid.

there are a few uk companies that sell these.mine came form brite lights i think..complete and ready to go...including the power unit and uk plug.all you have to do is attach the cable into the 2 stereo cable like clamps and you ready to go.

bought a 72 led strip for a 2 footer...but wish i went a bit longer to give loads of light.sufficent tho at 72 led....many colours available..

if not there is always lighting starter kits available....

good luck

ady
humans are the only race,with the intelligence to save the earth...shame we have the ignorance to ignore the salvation!!!!!
ady

Return to Beginners