Disease...maybe white spot???

New to fishkeeping? This is the place to find out whatever you need to know!

Disease...maybe white spot???

Postby FishOutOfWater » Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:55 pm

Hi everyone

I have just reached the end of cycling my 125lt tank with 6 Platies, I've checked all levels and it's good to go, however, I've noticed that 1 of the platies has a cluster of white anomalies at the base of it's tail, 1 has what appears to be a translucent pear shaped anomaly on it's tail, 1 has what appears like red streaks coming from it's body into it's tail, and another has what appears to be tiny black spots on it's tail.

I've been researching the anomalies on the Internet and it appears that each fish is showing symptoms of different diseases :(

I'm not sure what the best course of action is as each disease needs to be treated differently! :?

Has anyone got any advice or suggestions on the best way to deal with this issue?

I was going to do a water change, however, I'm not certain if that will add more stress to the fish and cause more issues!!!

All responses will be greatly welcomed.

Regards

Neil
FishOutOfWater

Re: Disease...maybe white spot???

Postby Carylnz » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:31 pm

Have you got any pics?
Whitespot covers the whole fish and makes it look like it has been sprinkled with salt. That does not fit your description.
Red streaks could indicate fin rot or damage from cycling. Any other symptoms?
Some fish have tiny black dots in their colouring, sometimes not appearing until the fish ages.
Never add meds unless you know definitely which disease you are treating. Most illnesses can be fixed by judicious water changes.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Re: Disease...maybe white spot???

Postby ady » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:00 pm

agree with the water changes,it can help...and doubt it will cause more stress,so dont panic :)

pics would be a lot easier to assess......then we could help u more.
humans are the only race,with the intelligence to save the earth...shame we have the ignorance to ignore the salvation!!!!!
ady

Return to Beginners