Adding a new filter

New to fishkeeping? This is the place to find out whatever you need to know!

Adding a new filter

Postby chloe1980 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:50 pm

Hi all,

I currently have a 100 ltr tank in the uk, I have 2 filters running a fluval u1 and another one with 120ltrcapacity.

I have messy fish, tiger barbs x 8 and to 2 flying foxes (only 3 cm at moment not messy :D ).

For Christmas I have got a u4 fluval filter which has a much larger capacity upto 230 Ltrs, so finally the question what is the best way to add the filter.

I was thinking to take the foam out of the U1 and cutting it to fit into onside of the U4 filter, and leave the other filter in for a week or two as the U4 matures. Is this a good idea?

this year I will upgrade my tank to a 200 ltr I though having a a better internal filter will aid the change of tanks later.

Anyway your thoughts and guidance will be appreciated.

Thanks

Chloe
chloe1980

Re: Adding a new filter

Postby Carylnz » Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:01 pm

If you have the space, just add the new filter and leave them all running for 1 month. All will then be cycled beautifully.
Have any got the ceramic noodles in them? If so, swap them over. Saves cutting up foam to fit.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby chloe1980 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:32 pm

Thank you, not one of my current filters have ceramic noodles the U4 does though which is one of the reasons I went for it as I couldn't get an external filter piping into the tank :-(.

Not sure if I can fit in with the other filters and still have good access to change media I will have a play to see if I can get them all in.

Should I add extra cycle to help the new filter?

Cheers

Chloe
chloe1980

Postby Carylnz » Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:20 am

You do not need to help the new filter as you do not need it for another tank yet. Just let it cycle happily with the others. You should not need to reach any filter media for the month the filters are jammed in there together. Why are you wanting to change the media anyway? That is where all the good bacteria have built up and live. If you keep changing it your tank will continually go through mini cycles. There is no need to touch any media until the water return flow drops noticeably. Then you just give it a quick rinse in old tank water and put it back.
If there is space in either of the other filters, you could just put the ceramic stuff into the two current filters then when you set up the new tank, take the noodles out, put them in the new filter and set it up in the new tank. That way you would need to try and fit the 3rd filter in the smaller tank.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Return to Beginners