Thinking of getting some shrimp

New to fishkeeping? This is the place to find out whatever you need to know!

Thinking of getting some shrimp

Postby SparkyST » Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:18 pm

Hi guys

I am thinking of getting some shrimp, does anyone know which would be best. Current inmates are 8x neon tetras 6x Glowlight tetras, 5x emperor tetras and 1 rubbernose plec.

Tank is fully cycled and levels at the norm.
SparkyST

Re: Thinking of getting some shrimp

Postby SparkyST » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:19 pm

Ended up getting some red cherry shrimp after some research online. All seem happy so far and busy eating the algae
SparkyST

Postby Carylnz » Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:41 pm

You can get some lovely shrimp. They are all banned here :(
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby SparkyST » Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:48 am

Why are they all banned where you are Carylnz?

The shrimp seem to be getting along all ok in the tank so far, busy hiding in the Java moss and eating all the algae off the leaves. Should have a nice clean tank soon :)
SparkyST

Postby Carylnz » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:18 pm

We have the strictest quarantine in the world and because of our unique flora and fauna, it is rare they allow other species in. We have native shrimp here and they would probably be wiped out by any imports that were released (despite the fact they could only survive in the upper North Island as it would be too cold elsewhere). They also worry about organisms that come in the water or soil of imports. There are any bugs found worldwide that we do not have in NZ and MAF wishes to keep it that way.
Carylnz

Postby wilfy » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:33 pm

un like where carylnz, lives in newzealand,who care about there flora-forna. we in britan dont give a shit what we alow in are checks ,what they are ,are a total wast of time,now where loosing trees with dieback ,all through imports,what next,im waiting for rabies ,then the shit will hit the fan, :cry: :cry: :cry:
wilfy

Postby ady » Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:33 pm

AMEN !.....

our borders are far too open......watched the MAF guys doing there stuff on the telly.....

even the soldiers get MAF guys check em after they been on exercise,before allowed back on the home soil..

:)
humans are the only race,with the intelligence to save the earth...shame we have the ignorance to ignore the salvation!!!!!
ady

Postby Carylnz » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:44 pm

Remember that we have the "advantage" of being far away from anywhere else so don't have such easy access to our islands. As bad as nasty stuff coming in, we have a major problem with native stuff being smuggled out :twisted:
Carylnz

Postby ady » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:33 pm

you do have some unusual and beautiful animals on your islands,no wonder people try to smuggle em out....

i admire your countries wish to maintain the natural balance of your native flora and fauna 8)
humans are the only race,with the intelligence to save the earth...shame we have the ignorance to ignore the salvation!!!!!
ady

Postby SparkyST » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:27 pm

Well I went away for a few days for work and left the Mrs to feed the fishes. On my return I found a half eaten shrimp and another one dead in the java moss. They were the 2 biggest and brightest coloured and were carrying eggs. I was devastated and immediately checked the water levels of which all is perfect. However last night I noticed 15+ baby shrimp busily eating the algae on the plants, look as if the 2 shrimps that died may have died during giving birth!
SparkyST

Postby Carylnz » Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:40 pm

How old do shrimp get to? Are they one of those critters who grow, breed then die in a season?
Carylnz

Postby SparkyST » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:34 am

Carylnz wrote:How old do shrimp get to? Are they one of those critters who grow, breed then die in a season?

I dont know but the more red and larger they are the older they are is all I can find online. They do have a number of offspring in their lifespan, apparently they reproduce every 30 days or so.
SparkyST

Postby Plug » Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:27 pm

I have cherry shrimp & lost a few of mine in the beginning when they were pregnant.
But now I have absolutely loads.
My fish don't even eat the tiny babies.
In fact I've even seen some of the little baby ones sit on a particular rock cleaning my Albino Corys. Who after a while just flick them off & swim away.
They're very entertaining & even nibble my fingers sometimes when I do a clean
:D
Plug

Return to Beginners