Sand or Gravel?

New to fishkeeping? This is the place to find out whatever you need to know!

Sand or Gravel?

Postby Davy Jones » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:22 am

Hey guys, first off i'd like to say what a great site this is, i've been reading through the forum today and i've learnt so much already so i'm hoping you can answer my questions, I dare say there will be many more!
I am about to set up two tanks at home, one 30l tank for my son and a 150l/200l tank for myself (not bought it yet, going shopping next weekend!) Both will be freshwater tropical tanks, the smaller of the two will only have neons or guppies, i'm undecided yet as to what I would like in mine however i've had a few tanks before now so whilst i'm not entirely new to keeping fish, it has been a few years!
My question is should I use sand or gravel? I've never used sand before but I love the way it looks. What would be better or does it matter? Will it make a difference to what fish I can have? Can I even use sand in freshwater,tropical tanks?

Any help is much appreciated!

All the best, DJ
Juwel Trigon 190-

2 Midnight Angels
2 Dwarf Gourami
1 Clown Plec
Davy Jones

Re: Sand or Gravel?

Postby Carylnz » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:06 am

My question is should I use sand or gravel?
It is a matter of choice. Some find it a nuisance to clean as waste sits on top so is more noticeable but that may make is easier to clean up :wink:

What would be better or does it matter?
No. See above

Will it make a difference to what fish I can have?
Not really but some loaches prefer sand, as will any fish you choose that like to burrow in the substrate.

Can I even use sand in freshwater,tropical tanks?
Yes. You need to be careful where you put the filter as they can suck up the sand (if too close) and stuff the unit. You also can't use under gravel filters with sand.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Re: Sand or Gravel?

Postby Davy Jones » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:09 pm

Great stuff! Thank you very much :D
Juwel Trigon 190-

2 Midnight Angels
2 Dwarf Gourami
1 Clown Plec
Davy Jones

Return to Beginners