Scared Little Fishy

New to fishkeeping? This is the place to find out whatever you need to know!

Scared Little Fishy

Postby Smurph » Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:25 pm

Hi,

So a little while back when changing the water I completely forgot to add tape safe - with disasterous consequences. All but one of my little fishies died :(

I now have my one fish. I'm not sure what it is as it came out of a friends tank, it looks like a Platy although it could be something else similar.

I was just about to move, and am moving again soon so I decided against getting more fish until I'm in my final home so as not to keep unsettling them. For a while, my little speckled fish seemed perfectly happy, particularly as I am temporarily at my Dad's who has been giving him lots of attention! (quite sweet actually, I may have to buy him a tank when I leave!) however suddenly he has become very different. He spends all day and night hiding in his little cave and doesn't come out except to eat. If he does come out, the slightest movement will scare him back to his abode. :(

Has something spooked him? Is he sick? Or lonely? I have tested the water and all seems fine, and I've recently cleaned and change the filter pads. It has been a few weeks and he is still the same with no sign of getting better.

Should I get some new fish in there to give him company? And I don't know what he is, so I may not be able to get the same species!

Also, I call him a 'him' although I have no idea if he really is a 'he'...

Any help or thoughts would be appreciated! :)
Smurph

Re: Scared Little Fishy

Postby Rob W » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:07 pm

How big is the tank? I had a bad accident last year and my wife had to look after my tanks for a couple of months as I was totally immobilised, not having much of a clue with them because it's my hobby, she did a water change and didn't add tapsafe. Guess what happened? Nothing! A bucket of untreated water would be diluted in a big tank to the point where it would not be much of a hardship for healthy fish, plus there's already tapsafe in there from previous water changes. Either you have a smaller tank where a water change would have a bigger impact or there are other issues maybe. The fact that your fish is feeding is a good sign though, it's possible that with an empty tank he doesn't feel the need to patrol his patch, or he may have issues relating to the last incident where your other fish died.
River Reef 48 x 2
125L Fluval
240L Fluval
Loadsa fish. And shrimps.
Rob W

Postby Carylnz » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:23 am

and how long was "ok for a while" at dad's before he started this behaviour?
Hard to say without knowing the size of the tank and species of fish. Any chance of a photo?
Is the tank in a high traffic area?

The percentage of water changed without the tapsafe will make a difference to results. Some areas are worse than others too so whereas one person can get away with it, it would not be good for someone in another area, even if it was a small change.
Then there are those like me who don't have to add anything to the water at all 8)
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby Smurph » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:25 pm

Hi,

The tank is 48L I think. So I guess I take out a higher percentage of water than you would in a larger tank. And I don't think the water here is very nice, I had loads of issues when I first set up the tank.

I'd say it was 3 or 4 weeks where he was pefectly fine, would swim around the glass when someone went over, and would come straight to the top as soon as the pot of food came out. Then I think quite suddenly he just stopped coming out. Nothing memorable happened that I can think of that might be a reason to have scared him into hiding.

I've managed to take a photo but I'm not sure how to post it - tried adding it as an attachment but it's not working. Any advice?

I've been searching through google images and I think he might be a molly, although he doesn't have a curved tail - do they all have curved tails?
Smurph

Postby Smurph » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:26 pm

Ok yeah, I'm almost certain he is a dalmation molly :)
Smurph

Postby Carylnz » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:19 am

You need to have the pic stored in an online album that allows sharing (like Photobucket or Flickr etc) then link to it there. You can't add attachments or link direct from your computer.
Do you have a cat or small children? Something may have scared it.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Return to Beginners