Air stones, do I need one?

New to fishkeeping? This is the place to find out whatever you need to know!

Air stones, do I need one?

Postby Davy Jones » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:36 am

Hey guys, me again! In my last post I mentioned my son and I were each buying a tank, this week we have both got our new toys so i'll be posting a few pics in the relevant area when they are set up but my questions are again no doupt simple ones but i'd very much appreciate some help!
I bought myself a Jewel rio 125, it came with a Tetra Tec ex700 external filter, these external ones are new to me but after a youtube search it looks very simple to set up. The tank also came with an airstone, an Interpet Airvolution 1. Do I need to use this? Will it benefit my tank? I'm unsure yet if i'll be buying live plants or the plastic kind but will it make a difference if I opt to use the airstone?

Thanks again for any help,

DJ
Juwel Trigon 190-

2 Midnight Angels
2 Dwarf Gourami
1 Clown Plec
Davy Jones

Re: Air stones, do I need one?

Postby Carylnz » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:52 am

You do not need an airstone but a lot of people like the look of them. They are handy to have on hand if you need extra aeration for whatever reason - such as high temperatures (the higher the temp the lower the oxygen content. I have just come home from work and it is 29C in my lounge, luckily cooler than it is outside!) or medication use (meds lower oxygen content).
Whether you use live or plastic plants is up to you and the fish you choose. Some eat plants so plastic would be the way to go for them. On the other hand, a tank full of live plants looks more natural and is easier to maintain (they compete with algae for food).
The airstone will make no difference to the plants.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Re: Air stones, do I need one?

Postby Davy Jones » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:21 am

Once again thank you for your help! Think I may use it, i'll get the tank set up and go from there.

Have to say i'm a little jealous of your weather, I 've just got out of bed and its 0 C outside at the moment. Hat and scarf day for me then :lol:
Juwel Trigon 190-

2 Midnight Angels
2 Dwarf Gourami
1 Clown Plec
Davy Jones

Return to Beginners