Almost ready, so whats best?

New to fishkeeping? This is the place to find out whatever you need to know!

Almost ready, so whats best?

Postby Davy Jones » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:50 pm

I have yet another question for you, appologies but I want to get this right!

The first of our tanks is almost ready to have its first fish added. My son has a small 19l Fish Pod Moon tank, it isnt huge but it is perfect for his bedroom. It has been cycling for a week now and I had hoped my API master test kit would have arrived so I can double check the water but sadly not.
In the mean time my son has decided he'd love a school of Neon Tetras or Cardinal Tetras as well as a Siamese fighting fish. Now I know the fighters can be aggresive and I have explained that they may not be a great idea in his tank, also having had fighters before now, their tails can get nibbled too so he may not look too great! Can you reccomend a good looking fish that would live quite peacefully with the tetras in his tank? Is 19l even enough to have say a dozen Tetras and one larger fish?

Here's the tank in question-

Once again your advice is greatly appreciated :wink:

DJ
Juwel Trigon 190-

2 Midnight Angels
2 Dwarf Gourami
1 Clown Plec
Davy Jones

Re: Almost ready, so whats best?

Postby Carylnz » Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:05 am

I am afraid your son's choice, and number, of fish will be severely limited in 19L. The shape is another problem.
How has it been "cycling"? If you have no fish in it, nor been doing a fishless cycle, then it is not cycling, it is just sitting there with water in it. If that is the case, it doesn't matter if you don't have a test kit yet as it should give good results at this point.
Neons are a shoaling fish and need a planted aquarium with plenty of hiding spots and an open area for swimming. The substrate needs to be dark. The recommended minimum aquarium base length is 60 cm.
Short finned fish like to swim about, often at speed. They need shallower and longer (or wider if you like) aquariums rather than tall narrow ones.
You could not put enough cardinals in their to satisfy their shoaling behaviour and they are bigger than neons with the same requirements.
A Siamese fighter would be nice in there on his own (nothing to nibble at him either) with 3 of a small species of Corydoras on the bottom.
Has he considered setting up for shrimp? You seem to get a variety of brightly coloured ones.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby Davy Jones » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:21 am

Hmmm, ok. I guess my understanding of cycling was completely off! I thought having set up the tank and adding the required chemicals and waiting to be able to add the fish was part of the cycle. This is why i'm here, to learn from you guys!
Thank you for the fish info too, which would you say should I add first? The fighter or the corys? Think we'll leave the Tetras for my tank when its set up.

DJ
Juwel Trigon 190-

2 Midnight Angels
2 Dwarf Gourami
1 Clown Plec
Davy Jones

Postby SparkyST » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:10 am

Just a word of warning with the 19l moon pood. I had one for my starter tank and was a nightmare to keep the water levels correct. Keep checking the Ammonia and nitrite levels daily.

The filter is also next to useless
SparkyST

Postby Davy Jones » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:51 am

Thanks for the info, we'll see how it goes I guess. It wont be too expensive to replace his tank should the need arise but i'll try it out and keep an eye on the water :wink:
Juwel Trigon 190-

2 Midnight Angels
2 Dwarf Gourami
1 Clown Plec
Davy Jones

Postby Carylnz » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:50 pm

Add the fighter first. Corys like a more mature set-up so I suggest you see how the fighter goes for 3 months. If he is well, and you are finding the tank water parameters manageable to keep in check, then add the corys after that.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby ady » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:44 pm

sounds like the cycling advice given at PAH...as you say you are here to find out this stuff. 8)

we all had to start somewhere tho,so dont sweat it too much...read the guide on cycling a tank,this will give you all the info you need.

agree with the cory's going in after a few months.

thet do need specific food for them,i use catfish pellets....they are often sold as "clean up crew"...they do root about for food stuffs in the gravel but they do need some specific foods to keep em healthy and top condition..

you can get pygmy cory's which may suit ya set up well....

if you go for the fish in cycle you will need to keep an eye on water parameters daily in a tank that size...be prepared to do water changes,as the filter will not have a stock of bacteria to feed on the ammonia,nitrite created by the fish waste an uneaten food...

this is the "take it slow" part of the hobby,rush it and you will get problems and dead fish.

any question just ask away,someone should be able to help you....good luck
humans are the only race,with the intelligence to save the earth...shame we have the ignorance to ignore the salvation!!!!!
ady

Return to Beginners