Conflicting advice, which fish first?

New to fishkeeping? This is the place to find out whatever you need to know!

Conflicting advice, which fish first?

Postby Davy Jones » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:06 pm

I'm sure you guys are probably getting fed up with all my questions but once again I'm turning to you for advice!

My tank is almost ready for its first fish, I decided neon tetras where the ones I wanted more than any other. My lfs says these will be fine as a first fish but after reading a few very helpful books, it seems it might be better to add these a few weeks later.
So who is correct? Is my lfs simply trying to sell me anything to get my cash or do I go by the book and wait?

Thanks again,

DJ
Juwel Trigon 190-

2 Midnight Angels
2 Dwarf Gourami
1 Clown Plec
Davy Jones

Re: Conflicting advice, which fish first?

Postby Carolann » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:59 pm

Wouldn't like to say who is correct but the first fish I put in our tank were a variety of tetras, then some guppies, then mollies and 1 angel fish ( yes i know they can be a bit tetchy but dont tell this one as so far its behaving) finally 2 sorts of gouramis . Hope this helps, no doubt others more knowledgeable than I will say other varieties first , but this worked for me, had tank since early last year and lost 3 fish so I dont think that is too bad .
Carolann

Postby ady » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:05 pm

neons do best when added to a mature tank.......

i added mine after a month of running,but!!....i started my 405 filter with a huge squeeze of a mature filter....used mollies as a
cycling fish.....
humans are the only race,with the intelligence to save the earth...shame we have the ignorance to ignore the salvation!!!!!
ady

Postby Carylnz » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:20 am

It can depend a lot on the quality of the neons. They used to be a very hardy species but breeding for quantity rather than quality has meant these days they tend to drop dead a lot more easily than they used to. When I see a lot of neons in shops these days I note that many should have been culled as their quality is poor :?
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Return to Beginners