Which fish?

New to fishkeeping? This is the place to find out whatever you need to know!

Which fish?

Postby Alive_Inside » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:50 pm

My Juwel Rio 180 now has gravel, live plants, some ornaments and is full of water! Currently doing a fishless cycle and have added some solution (forget what it is now) as I'm not at home much over the next few weeks.

I've been on aqualife2u.com and made a list of all the fish I'd like for my community aquarium:

3+ Angel Fish
4+ Barbs
Moth Catfish
4+ Corydora
6+ Danio
5+ Loaches
Plec
Shark
4 x Swordtails (M&F)
2 x Butterfly Fish

This totals 31 fish, which I think is way too much! I'd like a shark as my main fish so my question is simply, which combination of the above fish would be suitable? I will be adding these gradually and adding one species at a time (eg. Adding 4 Barbs, then adding the Angel Fish etc)
Juwel Rio 180 in progress
Alive_Inside

Re: Which fish?

Postby Carylnz » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:36 am

3+ Angel Fish - can be OK but add last as they are territorial. Will eat neon sized species so don't get cherry barbs if you have angels
4+ Barbs - there are many different species of barbs with a wide range of sizes. As shoaling fish they are better to be in a group of 6 or more
Moth Catfish - prefer live food like bloodworms, frozen brine shrimp etc. Have to gradually get weaned off live foods if you can't provide this. Be careful with tank mates as they are useless when it comes to competing for food and may need spot feeding or they'll miss out.
4+ Corydora - good. Need an established tank as they are grazers so need something on which to graze.
6+ Danio - Excellent hardy species to add first. Get all leopard or all zebra etc. Don't mix different types of danio. Look best in large groups.
5+ Loaches - 5 is a minimum for most.
Plec - tank too small. Also disrupt the decor, poo a lot and make a mess
Shark - tank too small
4 x Swordtails (M&F) - need a ratio of 1 male to 2 - 3 females so if you have 4, make it 1 male & 3 females.
2 x Butterfly Fish - I assume you mean African butterfyfish? These really need something a bit bigger with lots of plants that reach near the surface. They eat small fish, brine shrimp, insects and will eat freeze-dried stuff but prefer live foods.

I would add danios first, then barbs, swords, loaches, corys then angels.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby Alive_Inside » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:38 am

Carylnz wrote:
I would add danios first, then barbs, swords, loaches, corys then angels.

Thank you!

Would it be safe to add the danios to help with the cycling process?
Alive_Inside

Postby Carylnz » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:59 pm

Depending on your test readings, since you have already started a fishless cycle so the ammonia readings may be too high, yes. If you mean you have added some bottled bacteria and think that is doing something, then you are probably quite safe to add a few danios. I have never fishless cycled so can't help with that side of it.
For fish in cycling I always tell people it is simple...
For a standard 2ft tank start with 4 hardy danios or similar sized fish. Wait 1 month. If all is well, add another 4 fish then wait 1 month. If all is well... continue this until stocking level is reached.
For a standard 3ft tank start with 6 hardy danios or similar sized fish. Wait 1 month. If all is well, add another 6 fish then wait 1 month. If all is well... continue this until stocking level is reached.
For a standard 4ft tank start with 8 hardy danios or similar sized fish. Wait 1 month. If all is well, add another 8 fish then wait 1 month. If all is well... continue this until stocking level is reached.
Carylnz

Postby Alive_Inside » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:45 am

I was advised to add 1/3rd of a bottle of Quick Start http://www.apifishcare.co.uk/Products/Product.aspx?ProductID=680

This was added as soon as the tank was full of water.

What next?
Alive_Inside

Postby Carylnz » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:57 am

Sorry I can't help you with as I have never used stuff like that. I don't think it is even available in my country.
I suggest you test the water to see if it is still safe to add fish. Adding stuff like that is no good unless you also add something to keep the bacteria going. They need food.
Carylnz

Postby Alive_Inside » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:26 pm

I will be getting a test kit this weekend as I added the solution on Sunday and haven't been home to check. Once I know for certain it is safe to add fish I will ensure that I will get the danios first.

Speaking of which, would 20 danios be overkill to start off with? http://www.aquaticstoyourdoor.co.uk/20-x-Assorted-Danio-Minnow.html It's just that £28 is a good price.
Alive_Inside

Postby Alive_Inside » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:57 pm

Also, as I'm using pea gravel as my substrate, what is the best way to clean this? Will a normal gravel cleaner be sufficient?
Alive_Inside

Postby SparkyST » Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:08 pm

I could be wrong but I think 20 fish will be too many too quickly. Re-read this post as advice has been giving on stocking quantities depending on size of tank from Carylnz

Normal gravel cleaner should be all good. You can but "large" gravel cleaners for larger gravels.
SparkyST

Postby Carylnz » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:21 pm

I thought I had explained things clearly. If you have no idea what your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate are after adding the Quickstart then how can you know if it is safe to add even 1 fish?
If you have a 10ft tank then 20 danios added at once would be fine. Otherwise, depending on test results, 6 would be the most I would add.
Carylnz

Postby Alive_Inside » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:57 am

Apologies, I had a feeling 20 danios would be too many!

Anyway, back on track. I've tested the water and some of the levels are a bit too high (gh and kh), so I'm in the process of getting these lowered. Ammonia, nitrite and nitrate seem ok.

My tank is now looking much better as I've now got a nice supply of live plants and rocks. I have one major concern though. Once all the levels are ok and the fish are added, how do I clean the gravel? I'm using pea gravel and the plants are bedded into the gravel. If I use the siphon/vacuum to clean under the gravel surely this will dislodge the plants?
Alive_Inside

Postby Alive_Inside » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:27 pm

I should also add that these are the fish that I will be getting/interested in. Listed in order of purchase:

Danio x 6
Barbs x 6
Swordtails x 4
Loach x 3
Corydora x 4
Angel Fish x 3
Golden Pencil Fish x 5
Borneo Sucker Loach x 1 (Water may not be warm enough for this)
Blue Lobster x 1
Dwarf Aquatic Frog x 3
Alive_Inside

Postby Alive_Inside » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:05 pm

Did a quick test today and these are the results:

GH = 180
KH = 240
pH = 6.5
Nitrite (NO2) = 1-3
NitrAte (NO3) = 40-80

Sadly I don't know what the Ammonia levels are as the API Test Strips only measure pH, NO2, NO3, KH and GH.
Alive_Inside

Postby SparkyST » Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:47 am

The test strips are useless. Have a look at a liquid test kit. Api is a good brand
SparkyST

Postby Alive_Inside » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:16 pm

Ok, here are my results now I've got the API liquid test kit:

pH = 7.6
High Range pH = 7.8
Ammonia = 0.5 ppm
Nitrite = 5 ppm
Nitrate = 10 ppm

Now what? 10% water change?
Alive_Inside