still kinda noobish

New to fishkeeping? This is the place to find out whatever you need to know!

still kinda noobish

Postby exfishnoob » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:09 am

Warning..will be fairly long post. :) New-ish to this "hobby" and already addicted.
45 gallon tank ( 40 breeder size) running cartride type 55 gallon BOT filter and 50 gallon air pump.
gravel substrate, mostly plastic plants.
3 4" koi angels
1 5" pleco
3 2" corydoras
1 4" albino rainbow shark
.25 NH
0 NO 2
60 NO 3

Just added a few plants to reduce Nitrates, and doing 25% water changes every 2 days to stabilize the tank. Boyfriend washed the filter media in tapwater. :( mini cycle going on. Just removed a 5" tin foil barb and a 4" rainbow shark to new tank to reduce stress from aggression and lower bioload.

90 gallon tank 2 110 aquaclear filters ( one used...full of nummy biostuffs), 150 gallon bubbler with 2 airstones.
recently aquired formerly stocked with 2 Large plecs, 3 blood parrots, 6 sevrums all around 7 inches each. all the fish went to the LFS kept the gravel, with undergravel filter and decorations unwashed. Unfortunately probably harmed the gravel bacteria when refilled the tank, used tapwater and added dechlorinator after.
3 tinfoil barbs
1 8", 1 6", the rehomed 5"
1 4" rainbow shark
.25 NH
0 NO 2
20 NO 3
so...my question is this...is there anything else I should be doing? keeping an eye on all the tests, doing water changes every 2 days, more as needed to get my ammonia to 0. all the fish seem really happy, healthy, with the exception of the poor albino shark who is pouting atm due to bullying from the other rainbow before he got moved. the smaller tank is much better after the aggressive fish got moved, and the barb seems much happier with a few friends to swim with. :) not planning on adding stock for at least a month. Also, what kind of media can I add to my 45"s filter to improve bacteria colony? was thinking of a carbon screen that I left in after the carbon got used up?
Thanks in advance. ( been doing heavy research and learned a lot on here already)
exfishnoob

Re: still kinda noobish

Postby Carylnz » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:39 am

Water changes are always my preferred method to lower ammonia and nitrite readings. Preferably daily and at least 30 - 40%.
What are the dimensions of these tanks? 40 breeder size means nothing to me (and makes me suspect you are in the USA so meaning US gallons).
Best stuff to add to the filter is ceramic noodles. Huge surface area for their size so you can grow lots more bacteria.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby exfishnoob » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:50 am

Larger tank is 4 feet x 1.5 feet x 2 feet tall smaller is 3 feet by 1.5 feet by 1.5 feet tall all measurements US.
There are those noodles in the filters on the bigger tank. the smaller tank has a cartridge style filter. no room for noodles, unless they are very tiny and bagged. that's why i was wondering about the screen stuff. ( looks like those green scrubby for your dishes things)
PS. both tanks at 0 Ammonia and 0 Nitrites now.
Just working on getting the NitrAtes down a lil bit more at 50 in the smaller tank. did a 30% water change today and a thorough gravel vac. ( gravel on bottom was icky. :shock:
exfishnoob

Postby Carylnz » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:15 am

My nitrates are always around 40 - 50 as that is what the tap water is. Never been a problem.
The only complaint I have about the screen stuff is it tends to clog very quickly.
The plec (assuming it is a sailfin or common) will outgrow the 4ft.
Good to see you separated the sharks as they are very territorial, as you discovered. The 3ft is minimum size for this species.
Tinfoil barbs will need a 5 - 6ft tank as they are a very boisterous fish growing up to 35cm.
What is your pH? The sharks and tinfoils like it acidic.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby exfishnoob » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:39 pm

GH around 80, pH sits around 7 (neutral) and KH is around 100. Nice part of that, it is the readings fresh from the tap too. The LFS I get my fish from is only a few blocks away from me..less than a mile, so they have the exact same water as me. I tend to pay a lot of attention to who they have in which tanks in the " not for sale, display only" section. :wink: I even have a favorite guy to talk to there..he is the one who says...no..you don't need That product...and..no..those fish will not get along..rather than just trying to sell more stuff.
Ps. for water testing, we use API liquid for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates, but rely on the test strips for ph, alkalinity and hardness, as those are not as finicky and change much less.
exfishnoob

Return to Beginners