Thinking about an external pump!

New to fishkeeping? This is the place to find out whatever you need to know!

Thinking about an external pump!

Postby MarkP » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:22 pm

I have a 64 litre tank. The filter/pump unit and the heater seem to take up quite a lot of space and are a bit of an eye sore. I am wondering about fitting an external pump so as I can get rid of this big ugly object from my tank. Whilst I am at it I wondered if it is also possible to move the heater outside of the tank. I haven't heard anybody talking about external heaters but it sounds feasible.

I have been thinking about the pros and cons of such a setup. The obvious benefit is that I get more space for my fish and more pleasant viewing.

Are there any downsides to using an external filter?

Thank you
MarkP

Re: Thinking about an external pump!

Postby Carylnz » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:20 am

Most people prefer canister filters as they don't take up any room in the actual tank.
You can get undergravel or under tank heaters or inline ones.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby ady » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:32 am

no downsides i reckon.

you will increase your media capacity hugely,maintanance will will be reduced in using an external due to the large media capacity.your filtration rates will increase,giving a higher litres per hour flow.

the ugly internal filter will no longer be in the tank,spoiling the look of it.

there are externals available that hold the heater within them,not sure of the makes tho.you will have to research that a bit.

just be careful you dont buy too bigger filter and turn the tank into a whirling pool.this will stress the fish out....

hope that helps :)
humans are the only race,with the intelligence to save the earth...shame we have the ignorance to ignore the salvation!!!!!
ady

Postby englishmx » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:37 pm

ady wrote:there are externals available that hold the heater within them,not sure of the makes tho.you will have to research that a bit.

http://www.hydor.it/en/products/show/9
Mike...
englishmx

Postby ady » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:54 pm

Hi mike. On my phone and not sure of that product ??

I mean is that a heater that runs inline with the filter return pipe?
Never seen that before, clever bit of kit by looks of it tho. Do you use them ??
humans are the only race,with the intelligence to save the earth...shame we have the ignorance to ignore the salvation!!!!!
ady

Postby englishmx » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:32 pm

Yes, the link shows the Hydor range of in line heaters, I wanted an in-line heater for my 180L a while back, I looked into it quite a bit and found the Hydor's most frequently recommended and most reliable. No probs so far, a bit heavy & bulky but that's to be expected :)
Mike...
englishmx

Postby Neveraliein » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:53 pm

Eheim do an external filter with a heater, they're pricey (but have great reputation) and not sure if they'd be too much for your tank. Have in mind that they are for bigger tanks
Neet
Fluval 125L
3 Gold Barb, 5 Tiger Barb
2 Cherry Barb. Plants. Soft, alkaline water

45L tank
7 Cardinal Tetra & some shrimps
Neveraliein

Postby MarkP » Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:01 pm

Thanks for the info everyone.
Sounds like an external pump is a good option but most seem to be perhaps too powerfull for my 64 litre tank. The smallest I have seen is for tanks up to 200 litres. Others give quotes of X number of litres per hour and I have no idea how many would be good for my tank. I imagine it should have a throughput of X number of tank fulls of water per hour but I have no idea what X should be.
MarkP

Postby Carylnz » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:10 am

You want your water cycling through 5 - 8x per hour. There are plenty of small external canisters out there. Have a look at the Fluval 105 external filter.
Carylnz

Postby MarkP » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:41 am

I particularly like the look of the Fluval. The 105 has now been replaced by the 106 which also has very good reviews so I've added itto my wish list.

Thank you
MarkP

Postby MarkP » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:42 am

The inline heater by Hydor looks great but unfortunately the smallest one they do is for 100-200 litre tanks. As mine is only 64 I think I will have to miss out on this. Not sure waht the issue would be with a smaller tank though I would have thought it would just spend more time in the off position. D you think this is important or could I risk it anyway?
MarkP

Postby Carylnz » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:46 pm

Remember that filter rates are for them running empty with no height. Always get at least the next size up from what is recommended.
Carylnz

Postby ady » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:48 am

i have a 405 fluval it is great filter......
ady

Postby SparkyST » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:49 am

I have a fluval 206 on my 80 liter tank. No issues at all and if the flow is a little too much for the fish you can adjust the flow rate.
SparkyST

Postby brodie » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:24 am

Hi all .. !
I am using fluval from many years however its size replacing day by day and i think it is best for the tank , we can easily adjust the rate according to the situation
brodie

Return to Beginners