New set up 100 litres tank

New to fishkeeping? This is the place to find out whatever you need to know!

New set up 100 litres tank

Postby Panda » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:33 am

Hi everyone,

I am upgrading from a 14 litres tank to a 100 lites one.
I am keeping the 14 litres one for 5 months now but still consider myself a newbie in need of loads of advise. I have a reena filter, a 50w heater, an air stone and one artificial plant. I have one bala shark, one cory,one bumblebee snail and one yellow snail(?name); lost 2 guppies and a cory :( ...not all in the same time.

I have purchased the new tank second hand from internet, a/w to collect, not sure about the lights, they might not work.

I am planning on planted tank and for start a few tetras, be cause I just love them,on sand substrate. probably will have another cory so the other one wont feel lonely
What I know is:
need a bigger watt heater
need a new filter

questions:
1.what filter should be appropriate? I would prefer an internal one if can get away with it
2. bogwood...cosmetic or a must
3.can I use water from my old tank to cycle the new one?
4. What alse do I need to know before starting to cycle my new tank?

Thanks all
Panda

Re: New set up 100 litres tank

Postby Carylnz » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:39 am

1.what filter should be appropriate? I would prefer an internal one if can get away with it
Can't answer this as you have different ones available than I have here. Read the box it comes in and always choose something bigger as the ratings are on empty tanks, not after they have built up good bacteria and stuff in the media, all of which slows down water flow.

2. bogwood...cosmetic or a must
Cosmetic. Only a must if you have Ancistrus and don't feed them bottom feeder pellets with lignin in the ingredients.

3.can I use water from my old tank to cycle the new one?
Most definitely. Better would be to take half the media from your old filter and swap it with half the new stuff. Instant cycle.

4. What alse do I need to know before starting to cycle my new tank?
If you do as I suggest above, you don't need to cycle the tank as it will be dome already. Do not leave it sitting without fish or another ammonia source though or the bacteria will die of starvation.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby ady » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:54 pm

welcome to the TTT....

as you have an established tank your swap over will be a doddle,if you follow the suggestions by carylnz....

cloning your filter will be the most important thing to do....you have loads of good bacteria in your media already...as
said, if you swap the filter media half over,it will seed the new media aswell...

if the new filter cant take your shape media,dont worry.....what i would do is this....using water from your small tank,i would wash out half the old media (into a bowl ),then i would allow the new media to soak in this 15- 30 minutes....this should seed it with bacteria..i always do that method when maintaining my filters,its worked for me..

as for filters...there is a big choice....if you want an internal,i would (as suggested by carylnz) go for bigger than your tank capacity..even better if you can get one with a control for flow....

depending on your budget you can spend a little or a alot on a filter......have a good look on ebay for ideas or in your local fish shop.....

good luck :)
humans are the only race,with the intelligence to save the earth...shame we have the ignorance to ignore the salvation!!!!!
ady

Postby Angel Fish » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:35 pm

Sorry to put a spanner in the works, but even 100l is much too small for a Bala Shark - mine outgrew a 132 GALLON (600ish l), seven foot tank :shock:
All the advice I give is based on my own personal 30 years of experience.
Main TT Page
Diabetes Forum
Angel Fish

Postby Carylnz » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:11 pm

Oops, sorry. I was too busy thinking about the questions I did not notice the bala shark mentioned :oops:
Carylnz

Postby ady » Wed May 01, 2013 8:05 am

me forgot that too....d'oh... :innocent:
humans are the only race,with the intelligence to save the earth...shame we have the ignorance to ignore the salvation!!!!!
ady

Postby Panda » Thu May 02, 2013 9:20 pm

With the bala shark it's a long story....
When I wanted fish was for a christmas present for my oldest daughter, so got my hands on a free 14 litres fish tank with filter and heater so just went to the pet shop asking for 2 fish. I did say I don't have any experience with fish and said what tank I have at home and he recommended a guppie and the bala shark. I did all the research about how to cycle the tank but not read to much about the fish until after I bought them. So I find out with horror the my bala would be happier in groups of 6 and in 150 cm long tanks at least. :shock: :shock: :shock: .Then I have seen them in a different pet shop, they grow really big :( .
I went to take it back explaining all the facts I have found out; the lady said that is not true and can not take it back as I might have diseases in my tank.She told me she has a bala in a small tank and he is very happy and does not grow to much if in a small tank. Apparently the person who sold it to me was the manager of the shop :!: :?: .
I am quite fond of him now...he is a great fish, majestic and beautiful. he is part of the reason I am upgrading... but expensive hobby!!
Now I know to research well before buying a fish!
I thought about rehousing him but pet shops won't take him and I am stuck :?

I need to ask about lamps..can I buy my lamp in any shop, I mean not a pet shop? my lid holds only one lamp so if planning for a planted tank I think I need a strong one; looking around they are quite pricey so hoping to find a cheaper one in a non-pet shop.

and not sure if I need to upgrade my heater, I would not right away if I don't really have to ....I have a interpret 50 watt
I did read about the maturing of the filter, Ady thank you for your practical advise.

For the instant cycling...I don't want to use the gravel so for media I am left with the water the old filter and the air stone...would that be enough?

Thanks for the welcoming and for all your reply
Panda

Postby Carylnz » Thu May 02, 2013 11:10 pm

I have seen many use those clip on desk lamps as lighting for their aquariums and have used it myself.
My 4ft actually has 4 plain, ordinary "daylight" tubes, bought cheaply from an electrical wholesaler. I have never used fancy, expensive tubes.
Carylnz

Postby Panda » Tue May 07, 2013 1:09 pm

Thanx Carylnz ,

planned to do the same and buy my lamp in an electrical shop; but it looks like because the pre-fitted starter in my lid I would not be able to have a stronger then 18w lamp. would plant do well under that light?
Looking for filters I am inclined for the Fluval U4 , my top budget is 40 pounds, so this one is just under. by the looks of it with this filter I won't need my air pump as this will aerate the tank as well.

thanx all
Panda

Postby ady » Tue May 07, 2013 8:59 pm

Air stones and pump are not essential items in a tank .
The way oxygen enters the water is thru the filter rippling the surface.
My tank has been air pump free since i planted it up..and there is no problems at all .

The air pump can be of use tho,if you using meds.
Ensuring oxygen levels are maintained.

Im not not sure on the light strength of your bulb.there are plants
that can be grown in low light...have a look at my lowlight tank on the
"Tank talk" section..this mite help you decide ...

Anubias on bogwood is an excellent starter plant,java ferns also
ady

Postby ady » Tue May 07, 2013 9:09 pm

Those filters have had good reviews.

The u3 should be sufficient for your tank,but hopefully others with these
filters can advise on performance.

I would consider one of these when old fluval internal i have goes kapput !
ady

Postby ady » Wed May 08, 2013 12:45 pm

For that money you could also get an Ehiem Aquaball for your tank

They look really good.and comes with spray bar...good for oxygen levels :)
ady

Postby Panda » Tue May 14, 2013 1:21 pm

I am taking my time...I know...still haven't decided on the filter...I am very keen on the Fluval U3/U4...but if add a little money I could get an external one as looking to upgrade my tank some time later....Would that be to strong for my tank?
the one I am thinking of is this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Aquarium-All-Pond-Solutions-1000EF/dp/B002NF5LDQ/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1368532401&sr=8-3&keywords=external+filters#productDetails

Ady...thnx for your reply..not so keen on the Eheim because of the shape...it seems to me not so popular in UK ...and I am thinking will be difficult to get the replacements foams...etc.

In the meantime researching about the planted tank it looks that so many things could go wrong...I am quite deflated especially I don't have the strong enough light . so then I am left with silk plants, because as far as i know the neon tetras like their plants for hiding.

or this one http://www.amazon.co.uk/Eheim-Classic-2213-External-Filter/dp/B000A2166A/ref=pd_sim_sbs_petsupplies_1 ...read very good reviews on it .
Panda

Postby ady » Wed May 15, 2013 8:12 pm

You can grow anubias very easily,even in low light,single bulb tanks
You dont have to plant em,just tie em on wood or stone.i didnt even
feed them to start with and they grew well...a excellent starter plant..
ady

Postby Panda » Wed May 15, 2013 11:44 pm

ok
You can grow anubias very easily,even in low light,single bulb tanks
You dont have to plant em,just tie em on wood or stone.i didnt even
feed them to start with and they grew well...a excellent starter plant..
sounds encouraging ...willing to try...sorry to be so daft; should I have special plant substrate then?.... under the sand I mean? I read about planted tanks that should have special substrate to provide Iron and other things for plants...
Panda

Next

Return to Beginners