What's "hardy"?

New to fishkeeping? This is the place to find out whatever you need to know!

What's "hardy"?

Postby VickyA » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:27 pm

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum and have been reading it with interest over the last few days. I used to have a tropical aquarium a very long time ago in my teens, but it was a very well established tank I 'inherited' from my Mum so I never actually went through the setting up stages.

Zoom on to many years later, and my 8 year old daughter has persuaded me that she should have her own tropical tank. Space is very limited in my home, so we've bought a 34L tank and I've pointed out that she'll only ever be able to keep very small fish in it, which is fine with her because all she wants is some pretty tetras with shiny lines down the side. :D

I've been reading your other threads about cycling the tank with fish when first setting up, and it talks about putting in a small number of 'hardy' fish to kick things off, but nowhere does it say what type of fish are classed as 'hardy'. My girl is quite impressed with neons and red-line tetra - would these be 'hardy' enough to get us started?

Thanks,
Vicky
VickyA

Re: What's "hardy"?

Postby SparkyST » Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:13 pm

Neon tetras aren't the hardest these days. Saying that I cycled my tank with some neons. I lost a couple due to inexperience at the time though.

A good water test kit is needed and dont over feed with plenty of water changes if you are going to go down that route.

Welcome to the forum :D Im sure one of the more experienced fish keepers will be along shortly to give further advice for you on hardy breeds
SparkyST

Postby Carylnz » Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:38 am

34L seriously limits what you can keep in the way of species.
Although neons are not as hardy as they once were, if cycled correctly the fish should survive with no harm being done to them in the process.
What are the tank dimensions? Types of fish and stocking levels will differ depending on whether you tank is a wide one, or tall.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby VickyA » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:59 am

Yep, I know it's a small tank. The footprint is about 12" square, and it's about 16" tall. I don't see me going back to owning silver sharks and angel fish etc (certainly not in this tank!), we'll just be keeping a handful of tetras, danios, that kind of size.

On the advice of lfs, we bought four red-line tetra on Monday. They seemed quite happy at first, but one by one they've died. :( I've tested the water - nitrites and nitrates are still at 0ppm, ammonia is up slightly at .25ppm. I don't know what level of ammonia is toxic, but I guess this must be it since a couple of the fish were at the top of the water before they died - assume they were looking for air because of gill damage? Anyway, I'm gutted (more so than my daughter) and I can't do that to any more poor fish, so I'm going to see if I can get hold of some ammonia and try a fishless cycle. If anyone has any suggestions about the best ways of doing this, I'd love to hear it.
VickyA

Postby Angel Fish » Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:51 pm

Have you tested you pH too? Test the tap water and then the tank water (not together).
Any Ammonia is toxic, but you will see some until the cycle really kicks in - frequent, small water changes will help keep it down. You need some Ammonia for the cycle to work, so don't panic too much yet :)

Do you know anyone with an established tank? You could "borrow" some filter media or dirty gravel and hang it in a stocking/pop sock for a few weeks, you might be able to avoid a cycle completely - I've seeded all my tanks this way :D
All the advice I give is based on my own personal 30 years of experience.
Main TT Page
Diabetes Forum
Angel Fish

Return to Beginners