Algae in tank

New to fishkeeping? This is the place to find out whatever you need to know!

Algae in tank

Postby Witchstick » Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:26 pm

Hi everyone I'm new here

I've just spotted that there is algae on my gravel and on my filter, the tank has been set up for two weeks now and has had two mickey mouse plattys in for a week. I leave the light on for about 8 hours a day, is this too much? I have artificial plants in the tank as I'm very new to tropical tanks.

I feed them a tiny bit twice a day, am I over feeding?

Could anyone recommend to me how to get rid of the algae ?
Witchstick

Re: Algae in tank

Postby wilfy » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:08 pm

cut the time you have the light on down to 5 or 6 hours.and an algae eater will help ,make sure ur tank is cykled before adding more fish.2 fish will need very little food over feeding is a big killer of fish ,better a hungry fish than a dead fish,try feeding same time every day if you can ,i feed once a day at the same time ,fish soon learn. uneaten food in the tank is a menace .check out bottem feeders ,and if you can do ur water changes same time ,as iv said fish learn and get used to rutine ,and nothing wrong with artificial plants alot are verry real looking ,i have all artificial plants in my 4ft tank.they can be cleaned easely in water from tank when needed,hope this helps ,one other thing dont have tank were sunlight can shine on it.ul get loads of tips hear ,and dont be afraid to ask ,were all fish lovers hear,been keeping fish for 30-40 years on and off ,and still learning.lollol so hang in there. :D :) :lol:
wilfy

Postby SparkyST » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:14 am

What Wilfy has said is spot on.

Welcome to the forum, I have been keeping fish for about a year now and still learning loads from this forum
SparkyST

Postby Witchstick » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:21 pm

thank you very much for that advice :)

Would I need to wait till my tank is cycled till I can add an algea eater? What is the best fish for algea eating?

My tank is only a 48liter tank so don't want to over crowd it and my fish be unhappy

Thanks in advance for any advice
Witchstick

Postby wilfy » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:27 pm

best to let tank cykle and settle down ,im prob not the most nolijable about alea eaters,i have a golden chinese algea eater .and 4 bronze corys 2 buttefly plecks ,my lights are on a timer,5.1/2 hours ,i think this keeps algea at bay.try reading up on algie eaters ,use web .find out best fish for ur tank size.put a post on forum wats best algea eater for 48ltr tank .worth a try, .good luck m8
:idea: :idea: :idea:
wilfy

Return to Beginners