Newbie here

New to fishkeeping? This is the place to find out whatever you need to know!

Newbie here

Postby Dan_mansfield » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:01 am

Hello everybody how are we.

I will soon be purchasing my very first tropical tank wich will most likely be a juwel reckford 800

1st question is what you get in the tank kit a sufficient setup ie is the pump ok heater ect.

2nd ive read i should cycle the tank with no fish but also read to cycle with fish

3rd i am interested in keeping some
Glass catfish
Arulius barb (if thats correct)

Can you advise if firstly these would get along and secondly other fish that would go well with them

Thanks in advance
Dan_mansfield

Re: Newbie here

Postby Carylnz » Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:36 am

From your questions, it is obvious you are new to fishkeeping. The 2 fish you have admired are not suitable for a new tank set-up, or possibly a beginner fish keeper. Both need high water quality, something you cannot always provide in a new tank be it cycled with or without fish.

I have no experience with the Juwel aquariums so cannot advise whether all the equipment is suitable or not. I think many increase the filtration of some makes.

Whether you cycle with or without fish is a personal choice. Choose whichever suits you best but do not cycle with glass cats or arulius barbs!

Arulius barbs need a bigger base size that the 800 offers. They need a minimum of 120cm x 45 and the 800 is only 80 x 35.

Both the barbs and the catfish are shoaling fish and need to be in groups of 6 or more, the glass cats especially.
The barbs require a flowing stream with high oxygen content with 30 - 50% water changes weekly. The glass cats need low light.

I suggest you start with some less demanding species and then once you have it worked out, try for the more difficult ones.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby Dan_mansfield » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:59 am

Thanks for your reply.after posting i did some more research into things went and brought a book on tropical fish species and got reading.im going to start the tank off with some pearl danios and upgrade the filter to a fluval 206 and go from there see how the danios get on.until i have more experience and a bigger set up i will leave the previous 2 types of fish i mentioned alone.i would like to add a pair of black Molly's at some point tho and some type of bottom dweller such as a bristle nose possibly
Dan_mansfield

Postby Carylnz » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:36 am

Danios are a great hardy fish to begin with and are often used to cycle a tank. I give the following advice for stocking a tank for cycling when using fish...
If you have a standard 2ft tank, start with 4 neon (or danio) sized fish. Do not add any more fish for 1 month. If all have survived, add another 4 neon sized fish. Wait one month. Repeat.
If you have a standard 3ft tank, start with 6 neon (or danio) sized fish. Do not add any more fish for 1 month. If all have survived, add another 6 neon sized fish. Wait one month. Repeat.
If you have a standard 4ft tank, start with 8 neon (or danio) sized fish. Do not add any more fish for 1 month. If all have survived, add another 8 neon sized fish. Wait one month. Repeat.
Remember, 4 neon sized fish will produce less waste than one larger fish.
In your case, I would add 6 danios to start the cycle. Over time, these fish produce waste. The filters produce bacteria to eat the waste and the numbers slowly grow to match the fish output. At the end of the month you ought to have enough bacteria to match the output. You then add a FEW more fish and repeat the procedure. Again, the bacteria numbers will grow to match the output. This cycles the tank slowly and carefully without harming the fish.
Patience is the best thing for a fish keeper. If you stock slowly and carefully you should not have any trouble. Too many get impatient and add fish too quickly.
Carylnz

Postby Dan_mansfield » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:18 am

I certainly dont want to rush it and end up with an over stocked tank and unhealthy fish.thanks for your advice much appreciated.im looking forward to the experience of keeping a tropical tank.
Dan_mansfield

Postby Carylnz » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:20 pm

An even better idea is to find someone locally (or a helpful LFS - local fish shop) who is willing to swap some of their matured filter media for some of your new media, or give you some squeezings from their mature filter. That will give the filter a kickstart.
Carylnz

Postby Dan_mansfield » Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:05 pm

Thanks for all your advice ive taken it all on board at what stage can i add a pair of black Molly's i guess after ive cycled the tank and got the waters to where they need to be put a few more neon size fish in then maybe the time after that so if all goes well on the 3rd month
Dan_mansfield

Postby Carylnz » Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:42 am

Correct 8)

Goodluck!
Carylnz

Return to Beginners