Stocking my 60l tank - advise please!!

New to fishkeeping? This is the place to find out whatever you need to know!

Stocking my 60l tank - advise please!!

Postby goggo84 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:21 pm

Hi Everyone, im quite new (but already addicted) to fish keeping and would like some advise please people. I have got a 60l tank that has been cycling for the best part of 3 weeks. I want to try and make my tank a temperate tank temp between 18-21c. I was hoping to acheive this by having a heater that only kicks in when the temp drop to 18c. My flat is quite warm anyway. Now for my questions re stocking, i have read that the following fish like cooler waters:
1. Odessa Barbs
2. Peppered Corys
3. Bloodfin Tetras or whitecloud minnows
4. Hillstream Loaches

Is this correct?

These are the fish i would like to get i dont want to overstock but believe that these fish operate differently i.e
Odessa & whitecloud = a school of 6 or more
Peppered corys = bottom.feeders
Loaches = eat alcae on rocks and glass
as they operate in different areas of the tank could i get them all?

Or

1 set of schooling fish = 6
6 panda corys
and 2 hillstream loaches

or could i strech it to 5 tetras/whitecloud, 6 odessa, 6 pandas and the loaches.

All advise welcome like i said im new, so if im talking complete rubbish please dont slaughter me

Thanks in advance

Mark
goggo84

Re: Stocking my 60l tank - advise please!!

Postby Carylnz » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:59 pm

No need to slaughter you for asking questions, questions are good. It is better you are asking before you start buying instead of buying the wrong species then asking for urgent help and wondering why the fish are dying!
How has the tank been cycling for 3 weeks? A tank sitting running with everything but the fish for a few weeks is not cycling.
60L is not very large and schooling fish need a lot of room and 18 - 23C would give you more choice.
When a tank is smaller it is my personal opinion that 1 or 2 species of several fish looks better than several species of 1 or 2 fish.
I have odessas in a 4ft tank. They need a 3ft or larger. As do the peppered corys, loaches and bloodfins.
A lot of the barbs like cooler temps but need a 3ft or larger tank.
Hillstream loaches prefer fast moving water and a much larger aquarium

White clouds would be good.
Have you considered smaller corys? Check their temperature requirements. I know pygmy corys can be kept in 22C.
Cherry barbs wold be good but they like to be about 23C
Most fish that are happy at the cooler temps need a larger tank than your 60L (which I am assuming is around 24" x 12" x 12"). Either reconsider the temperature, or get a bigger tank :wink:
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby goggo84 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:21 pm

Thank you very much for your advise. Would.glowlight danios be ok with the minnows and some pygmy cory?
goggo84

Postby Carylnz » Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:34 am

I should think so (although we do not have glowlight danios in my country so do not speak from personal experience)
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Return to Beginners