Discus

New to fishkeeping? This is the place to find out whatever you need to know!

Discus

Postby Sharoncthompson » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:22 pm

I have just purchased 6 discus. On getting them home I noticed one of the fish with what looked like ich on the tail fin. As the tank was set up and seasoned for them I put them in anyway and commenced a treatment for ich once they had settled after a couple of days. Two weeks on, the fish seem fine but the ich still on the tail of this fish. The fish in question is a red F1 wild. All the fish are 3". Could this be a marking on its tail or is this fish still infected. I thought the parasite dropped off after a week at the most?? Treatment included a raise in temperature to 32deg and an addition of sea salt, 1tsp per gallon.

Has anyone any thoughts?

Would appreciate anyones help here.
Sharoncthompson

Re: Discus

Postby cousin it » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:33 pm

hi, are you able to post a picture of the infected fish, this might help to determine what is going on.
Daran

there's always one
cousin it

Re: Discus

Postby Rockfish » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:44 pm

After 2 weeks, it seems doubtful it's ich if there's been no change. In that time the parasites would have gone through their life cycle several times and you wouldn't still have the original spots. The rest of the fish would probably be infected too by now if there was still active ich infection in the tank.
Sean

Remember there's lots of info at The Tropical Tank main site!
Rockfish
Site Admin

Return to Beginners