Hello from Scotland. Newbee

New to fishkeeping? This is the place to find out whatever you need to know!

Hello from Scotland. Newbee

Postby Darryl1984 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:12 am

Hello to all of you. I joined you forum yesterday do the the great advice and help available which is what these communities are all about. Looking forward to offering advice and help from my own experiences once I have some to give lol.

Im pretty new to keeping an aquarium in it all started with a small 12ltr tank for my son whos 3 years old. 2 little platys where put in it and to be honest im more intrested in them than he is. I love looking after them and enjoy watching them. The poor fish never hand the best of starts as poor advice from our local pets at home ment out wee platys spent the first 2/3 weeks in cold water with no heater as we were advised that they were cold water fish and had no need for heated water. The poor things ended up ill with white spot which im convinced was brought on by stress from the wrong conditions. We went to another local petshop for help and treatment and they advised that we needed a heater as they were tropical fish. Tbh I felt terrible and angry at the shop we got them from. I know that mabey more research could of been done before hand but my trust was fully in the staff who asured me they knew what they were talking about. After the course of meds and a heater our we fish are great and seem to be happy lol. Thats my shopmof choice now.

Currently I have a 68ish ltr tank going through its cycle period and I cant wait to fill it up with stunning fish. I bought the rig second hand and apart fr8m the filter, heater, tank and hood everything else is new,

Im hoping that with a little guidance my tank will be a happy healthy place to be.

Thanks for your time.

Kind regards Darryl.,
Darryl1984

Re: Hello from Scotland. Newbee

Postby cousin it » Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:10 am

Hi and welcome to the forum.
It sounds like you have recieved similar startup advice to many new fishkeepers.
On the main site and in the topics posted on the forum you should be able to learn what you will need to make this new setup exactly what you dream it can be.

Any questions you have do not hesitate to ask.
Daran

there's always one
cousin it

Postby Darryl1984 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:17 pm

Thanks for the welcome.

All im hoping for is a happy aquarium. Cant wait to start stocking it up. Ive spent a good few hours reading through the forums and loads of people asking the same kind of questions ive been pondering lol.

Once I work out how to post pictures il upload some on to here and see what others think.

Many thanks.
Darryl1984

Postby Carylnz » Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:30 pm

Welcome. That was very bad advice but good you are now on the right track. 12L is really too small for most fish. Also, the bigger the tank the easier it is to maintain. You also have a bigger range of fish to choose from. I gather you aren't adding the platies to the new tank?
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby Darryl1984 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:25 pm

Howdy. Platys have been added to the new tank to get the cycle going . Been on here for a few days and already loads of great help and advice. Cant thank everyone enough.
Darryl1984

Return to Beginners