Day five of cycle - advice wanted

New to fishkeeping? This is the place to find out whatever you need to know!

Day five of cycle - advice wanted

Postby Tonynleigh » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:09 pm

Hi all,

Just got a juwel 300 rio. Never had fish before but I've read that the bigger the tank the easier to control. I've run a fishless cycle, by adding ammonia, live plants and the nutrafin cycle. I'm at day 5 and the ammonia is at 0, ph level at just over 7 but the nitrate is a little high. Is this normal?

I've done a lot of reading up on all of these things, for a good month before I got the tank too, and there are a lot of contrasting opinions, so I thought maybe asking someone would be easier.

I made a huge mistake of asking at pets at home who assured me that I didn't need to cycle the tank and was fine to add two or three species to start, given that everything I've read goes against that, I think I may get my fish elsewhere.

Thanks
Tonynleigh

Re: Day five of cycle - advice wanted

Postby Carylnz » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:02 pm

You may find this helps.
I have never done a fishless cycle so can't comment on that.
I have always said to cycle with fish by choosing a hardy species (danios are good) then add 4 danio or neon sized fish to a 2ft, 6 to a 3ft, or 8 to a 4ft. Wait one month. If all is well, repeat. Do this until stocking level required is reached. Very easy.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby Tonynleigh » Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:49 pm

Thanks for that . Is it safe to put the fish in tomorrow then, given that the ammonia is present and nitrates are ok?

Just don't want to put fish in and watch them die! It's a four foot tank, so was thinking 8 zebra danios

Ta
Tonynleigh

Postby Carylnz » Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:19 am

You said ammonia was at 0. If there is any present then don't add fish. Do water changes first. This assumes any nitrite and nitrate levels are at a safe point too when you add fish.
Carylnz

Postby Tonynleigh » Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:50 pm

Yeah it was at 0 then went up slightly yesterday to a small amount showing. How can I make sure it doesn't come back? I've been doing 20 per cent water changes per day

Thanks
Tonynleigh

Postby Darryl1984 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:06 pm

It's strange how every tank is different. I've had two plates cycling my tank for nearly a week. I've tested daily for ammonia and there's been none. Done it's first nitrite test today before adding 4 guppies and it was at 0. Done a 20 percent water change yesterday preparing for today and all seems to be well. Now that's there's more fish it should be interesting to see how the levels do. Hope you get it all sorted.
Darryl1984

Postby Carylnz » Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:25 pm

If you cycle a tank properly (I am talking about a fish-in cycle, not fishless) you should not see much, if any, rise in ammonia etc as the cycle will be so slow and gentle the rates will not rise enough to be noticeable so there will be no toxicity to affect the fish.
The levels will always go up and down slightly as the tank matures, fish grow, plants grow or die, more fish are added etc etc etc. The answer is to check the ammonia (once the tank has cycled once a week is plenty until you get to know your tank then you only need to do it occasionally) and do a water change whenever it gets too high. Very simple.
Carylnz

Return to Beginners