Which Tank

New to fishkeeping? This is the place to find out whatever you need to know!

Which Tank

Postby k1rr1e » Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:41 pm

Hi there,
I am brand new to this hobby, but I have done plenty of research and reading and am now ready to start purchasing the basic equipment.

I have a very sturdy, solid mango wood bookcase, which I intend to stand my tank on top of. The base area available is 100cm x 33cm and I would like as large a tank as possible in 90 - 120 litre range.

Please can anyone suggest a good combination of tank, light, heater and filter which I can buy off the shelf as a set to get me started? What should I put underneath the tank to protect the bookcase?

Thanks & regards,
Eric
k1rr1e

Re: Which Tank

Postby cousin it » Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:02 pm

Hi
depending on availability I would suggest looking at the juwel tanks possible the rio 125 which should just fit on the book case you have available, they come equipped with a pretty good filter and light unit as standard and are solidly made.
There are rubber mats available that you can place on the book case prior to fitting the tank which should minimise any potential damage to the woods surface.
Daran

there's always one
cousin it

Postby k1rr1e » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:40 am

I have measured my bookcase last night and it is definitely only 33cm deep and unfortunately the Juwel Rio 125 measures 36cm deep. I am wary that it will overlap the bookcase and possibly damage the tank seals - any other suggestions please?

The one largish tank I have found which does appear to fit dimensionally is the Marina 95, but I am not familiar with the brand or its quality?

What I am looking for I guess is a long, narrow, highish tank of around 100 x 30 x 50 if such a beast exists?

Best regards,
Eric
k1rr1e

Postby englishmx » Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:08 pm

k1rr1e wrote:The one largish tank I have found which does appear to fit dimensionally is the Marina 95, but I am not familiar with the brand or its quality?

Marina is one of Hagen's brands so I would expect no quality issues, they are probably most well known for their Fluval range of filters

http://uk.hagen.com/
Mike...
englishmx

Postby Carylnz » Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:43 am

Why buy a brand one from a pt shop when you can go to a glazier and get one made specifically to fit the bookcase top?
That had better be a really really thick bookcase to support the weight of the tank full of water though!

You obviously don't live in a country where earthquakes are a consideration either :lol:
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby k1rr1e » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:16 am

Don't worry Carlynz, its VERY substantial. Its a square shape, divided into four smaller squares (2 x 2) with the four sides and the cross pieces in the middle all being four inches (10cm thick).

It will support 150kg no problem!

I think I will probably go for the Fluval Marina Style 95, which will be the best fit I can find.

Best regards,
Eric
k1rr1e

Return to Beginners