Changing existing tank to new tank

New to fishkeeping? This is the place to find out whatever you need to know!

Changing existing tank to new tank

Postby mjw2004u2 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:20 pm

Hi there, I haven't been on here for a long while. Hope everyone is ok :D After a bit of advice if possible. I currently have an Aqua Vital about 180l, tall tank which we bought for angel fish. This was quite a few years back, and the angel fish have now passed sadly :( This tank has now had it's day, the lighting unit doesn't work anymore, and it is so old, you cannot buy replacement parts anymore. So we have just purchased an oak aquarium from Maidenhead aquatics. This is also 180l, but is a shorter, wider tank. Anyway, what is the best way of transferring the everything from the old tank into the new tank? We are using everything that is currently being used in the old tank i.e. substrate, plants, bogwood, same filter, heater, etc?? I just don't want my fish to get too stressed while we transfer them. Cheers in advance for your advice :)
200l aqua vital tank
5 x Harlequin Rasboras, 4 x 5 band barbs, 6 x Cherry Barbs
3 x Rosy Tetras, 1 x Bristlenose Catfish, 2 x Ablino Corys,
mjw2004u2

Re: Changing existing tank to new tank

Postby Rockfish » Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:22 am

Hi,

Are you able to have the new tank in place before you empty the original tank, i.e. is it being placed in a different location, or do you have to move/empty the original tank to position the new one?

If you're able to put the new tank in place with the old one still running, it makes things much easier. If that's the case I would fill the new tank about one-third with fresh dechlorinated water and leave it at least overnight to get to room temperature. That way, you could move the fish (and any plants) into buckets or other containers with water drained from their original tank, and then transfer the substrate and enough water to make up the remaining two-thirds - then it will be just like doing a partial water change when you re-introduce the fish.

If it's not possible to do it that way, the procedure would be similar, but try to use as much original water as possible. Turn the equipment off, catch the fish and place them in containers. Store as much water as possible in buckets/containers. With the new tank in position, re-fill with the saved water, add the heater and filter. Top-up as necessary with fresh dechlorinated water. If temperatures are still similar, you could net the fish from the temporary containers and introduce them to the new tank. Alternatively, you could bag them and float them as when buying new fish. If the procedure is likely to take a while, it may be possible to run the filter in one of the temporary containers to help keep it mature.

Whichever way you do the transfer, stop feeding the fish at least one day in advance (two would be better). This won't do them any harm and will minimise wastes in any temporary buckets/containers and also in the new tank, which even with a mature filter will need to re-establish its biological balance.

Some of the info on the main site about moving house with fish will also be relevant: http://www.thetropicaltank.co.uk/moving_fish.htm
Sean

Remember there's lots of info at The Tropical Tank main site!
Rockfish
Site Admin

Return to Beginners