New 200ltr tank fish ideas

New to fishkeeping? This is the place to find out whatever you need to know!

New 200ltr tank fish ideas

Postby Barrie2206 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:57 am

Hi,

I have just upgraded from a Fluval 90 tank to a Fluval 200 and im looking for ideas of fish to add to my new tank. In residence at the moment is 1 angel fish, 5 buenes aries tetras and 1 large plec.

The angel fish is quite calm with a good temprement so I am not looking to add any more angel fish.

I was thinking of adding 2 clown loach as I have had these in the past and usualy are good community fish, 5 cherry barbs and probably 5 more tetras of some kind.

I was just looking for advice on the above and if anyone had any other suggestions.

Barrie2206

Re: New 200ltr tank fish ideas

Postby Rockfish » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:43 pm

As the Buenos Aries tetras are quite large and lively tetras, I would try to choose fairly robust tankmates to go with them that can compete for food. I would therefore choose 'lively' rather than timid tetra or barb species, and maybe larger rasboras (like scissortails) or danios.

Clown loaches are great fish, but they are likely to get a bit big for that tank eventually, even though they are quite slow growers and tend to become less active as they get larger. Other good loach choices that remain a more reasonable size include the Polka Dot loach (Botia kubotai) or the similar B. histrionica, or perhaps the Zebra loach (B. striata).
Sean

Remember there's lots of info at The Tropical Tank main site!
Rockfish
Site Admin

Re: New 200ltr tank fish ideas

Postby Barrie2206 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:22 am

Great thanks I went for 6 cherry barbs and 6 danios
Barrie2206

Return to Beginners