fully cycled and can't add fish

New to fishkeeping? This is the place to find out whatever you need to know!

fully cycled and can't add fish

Postby MartinC » Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:29 am

finally got those double zero's i've been working for. Wey Hey you might think but no, I can't get to lfs because of work and at weekend I'm going away for 2 days, I can keep feeding ammonia each evening up to 3ppm as I have been doing but will my precious bacteria survive for 2 days without food? Will it be enough to double dose Saturday morning to last through to Sunday evening? then back to 3ppm each day until I can buy my new fish a week on saturday? I would hate to spoil 5 weeks of careful monitoring, dosing and water changes :?
125l Fluval Rio
7 Tiger Barbs
5 Zebra Loaches
4 Red Harlequin Rasboras
5 Harlequin Rasboras
4 Otocinclus
MartinC

Re: fully cycled and can't add fish

Postby Rockfish » Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:06 pm

I would just do a normal dose Saturday morning (remember high doses can actually harm the process), and then continue as normal from Monday. There shouldn't be any noticeable effect from just missing the Sunday dose.

Then I would just do as you say, keep a maintenance dose going and test to make sure it's being processed to zero overnight, and then a final decent-sized water change before you add fish.
Sean

Remember there's lots of info at The Tropical Tank main site!
Rockfish
Site Admin

Re: fully cycled and can't add fish

Postby MartinC » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:18 pm

Yet again Thank You Rockfish.
I was quite worried about leaving things unattended, especially as I've finally got something to show for my efforts.
Now I can enjoy my weekend away.
125l Fluval Rio
7 Tiger Barbs
5 Zebra Loaches
4 Red Harlequin Rasboras
5 Harlequin Rasboras
4 Otocinclus
MartinC

Return to Beginners