cabinet

New to fishkeeping? This is the place to find out whatever you need to know!

cabinet

Postby nike orion » Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:43 pm

whats your choice?..
mines bowing,cheap mdf unit,on hunt for something like oak or walnut..dunno bout pine,mind says steer clear....
nike orion

Re: cabinet

Postby Carylnz » Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:02 pm

The harder the wood the better as it will last longer without being so affected by water spills and tank weight.
Can't help you more specifically as I do not know your wood options over there. Mine is made of rimu but that is a NZ hardwood and you do not have it in the UK.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Re: cabinet

Postby Rockfish » Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:13 pm

Oak is certainly popular in the UK at the moment, with some stores offering mass-produced oak cabinets and a few doing custom-made ones. You can also get good quality solid pine cabinets; the important thing apart from structural strength is that it's been either clear lacquered or stained to make it more water resistant - but any wooden cabinet will have its limits in that regard if constantly exposed to damp conditions.

Some MDF cabinets can also be ok if they are higher-end quality. If the edges are properly sealed (like ABS plastic edging rather than just iron-on type edging) then they will be similar to the better quality kitchen worktop type boards, which are of course designed to take a fair amount of abuse.
Sean

Remember there's lots of info at The Tropical Tank main site!
Rockfish
Site Admin

Return to Beginners