Lighting Help

New to fishkeeping? This is the place to find out whatever you need to know!

Lighting Help

Postby Umbongo » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:30 pm

Hi all,

After many unsucesfull attempts to keep my fish alive over the years I have decided to give it another go.

I have this tank:

After a few years sitting in a cupboard my light unit has completely failed, I tried changing the tubes twice and it just wouldn't work so in a rather annoyed state I cut it out a removed the entire unit completely.

So now I have a bare lid, my question is, as I cant get a replacement unit or find a complete lid what can I put in its place to provide adequate lighting to fish and live plants?

I have been looking at LED but am confused about which would be best suited to sit inside the lid as there is no condensation trap in my tank. I should add that I like the look of my tank and would like to keep it looking as it is, ie, without removing the lid just for a light to be placed on the tank.

Regards
Gaz
Umbongo

Re: Lighting Help

Postby Rockfish » Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:38 pm

Hi,

LED probably would be your best option, the slim size of many units makes them easier to retrofit.

I wonder if something like the Arcadia Eco-Aqua LED's might work: http://www.arcadia-aquatic.com/eco-aqua-led-tubes/

Their Stretch LED's might also be an option. They're available in a range of sizes and condensation shouldn't be an issue as they are waterproof. However, they would require some DIYing to fit into the hood.
Sean

Remember there's lots of info at The Tropical Tank main site!
Rockfish
Site Admin

Postby SparkyST » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:56 am

I recently bought an interpet LED lights, they are fully submersible so condensation shouldnt be an issue. Reasonably priced too compared to other brands and the plants have been growing like mad with them on.

http://interpetcatalogue.com/index.php?id=1926
SparkyST

Postby Umbongo » Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:57 pm

Hi guys,

I really like the Stretch led lights but they seem a little pricey for what it is and i need the 30cm one which is £40.

I cant find a price for the Interpet one but i assume it will be somewhere in the same region?
Umbongo

Postby Umbongo » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:17 pm

Right,

After some thought i decided i was going about it all the wrong way and lighting shouldn't be based on price but rather what i need to keep plants alive and give nice lighting. after all what the point in having a nice (albeit small) tank without good lighting.

So i have just ordered Arcadia Classica Stretch Freshwater LED 15w 40cm 13 x LEDs from Swelluk.com, hoping its worth the money but i will see.

As for the DIY side of getting it into my hood, after some measuring i don't think the light will need any modifying as i am pretty sure i can cable tie the existing rails to the plastic fins inside the lid once i drill 4 small holes. Should be fairly neat to as i can feed the wiring through the old wiring path.

As i cant find many posts relating to what i am trying to do, once i have it i will take a few pics so others can see if it is indeed that simple. (crosses fingers) :idea:
Umbongo

Postby Rockfish » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:48 pm

That sounds promising! :)

I'm sure it will be useful to others if you manage to sort it and get pictures, I've come across quite a few people wanting to replace faulty lights in commercial tank hoods with LEDs, so the more info around about what works the better.
Sean

Remember there's lots of info at The Tropical Tank main site!
Rockfish
Site Admin

Return to Beginners