Troubled Tiger Barbs

New to fishkeeping? This is the place to find out whatever you need to know!

Troubled Tiger Barbs

Postby MartinC » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:28 am

For the last 3 months my tank has been doing well, after a fishes cycle I added 8 tiger barbs, 5 Zebra loaches, 4 otocinclus and 9 Harlequin Rasboras over a period of a couple of months, everything seemed OK, water parameters ph=8, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 20-40 ppm nitrates the same as the tap water, temp 25.5 degrees. I had a problem with black algae so I started to dose 3ml of Flourish Excel daily and 3 ml of Seachem Flourish every 3 days. This almost completely cured the problem and everything was doing well, fish and plants growing well and very lively. Recently though the loaches and the Tiger barbs have gone into hiding and don't seem to be happy, they used to literally rush to the glass when I went near expecting food, now they are almost impossible to find, both the loaches and barbs have gone into hiding, not even coming out for food. one of the barbs has frayed fins so i treated the tank for fin rot with melafix as per instructions but this has made no difference. i have drastically cut back the foliage to how it was when they were really active but to no avail. Has anyone any suggestions to what could be going on and what could possibly be wrong? The harlequins and otto's seem to be happy and thriving.
125l Fluval Rio
7 Tiger Barbs
5 Zebra Loaches
4 Red Harlequin Rasboras
5 Harlequin Rasboras
4 Otocinclus
MartinC

Re: Troubled Tiger Barbs

Postby Carylnz » Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:54 am

I have not kept them but could it be the otos have grown big enough to harass those others and that is why they are hiding now when they used to be out and about?
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby MartinC » Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:33 pm

Thanks Carylnz
I'm not sure, I've never seen any evidence of any sort of bullying, the otto's just seem to do their own thing, sticking to the glass, a leaf or one of the pieces of wood. They are by far the smallest fishes in the tank except for the harlequins that are about the same size as them and they seem unaffected by anything.
125l Fluval Rio
7 Tiger Barbs
5 Zebra Loaches
4 Red Harlequin Rasboras
5 Harlequin Rasboras
4 Otocinclus
MartinC

Postby Rockfish » Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:50 pm

This is certainly a bit mysterious... especially as it's the two livelier and more boisterous species that seem to be hiding.

Fish that are unwell for any reason often have a tendency to hide, because they feel instinctively vulnerable. It doesn't seem like you have obvious disease symptoms though, apart from the one frayed fin, but that could just be the tiger barbs sparring to establish pecking order. It also sounds like your water quality is fine.

Assume there are no other major changes? No replacement of light tubes with a newer, brighter one? No changes around the tank, such as anything that could generate noise or vibration? Maybe even a change of routine to the number of people moving near the tank? Just trying to throw a few ideas out there...

Could the dose of Excel be building up a little? It is known to be toxic to invertebrates at a certain dose, so I suppose it's possible it could affect fish behaviour at a certain dose too. Any change in behaviour immediately after water changes?
Sean

Remember there's lots of info at The Tropical Tank main site!
Rockfish
Site Admin

Postby MartinC » Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:22 am

Mmmm, hadn't noticed any change after water changes, but last change (sunday) I did a major bit of gardening, cutting plants right back as algae had started to form again, my thought being that the dose wasn't enough for the increased volume of plants and cutting them back would restore the balance.
I will do a 30% water change asap and not add anything except dechlorinator, will post the outcome.
Thanks for the suggestions, any help really appreciated.
125l Fluval Rio
7 Tiger Barbs
5 Zebra Loaches
4 Red Harlequin Rasboras
5 Harlequin Rasboras
4 Otocinclus
MartinC

Postby Carylnz » Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:08 am

Aha, the plant cut back may have been enough to cause such behaviour. They felt safer with more plants around them.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby MartinC » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:09 pm

Unfortunately they were behaving this strange way before I cut back the plants, I only cut them back to simulate what the tank was like when they were really active in the hope it might liven them up, but thanks for the idea.
125l Fluval Rio
7 Tiger Barbs
5 Zebra Loaches
4 Red Harlequin Rasboras
5 Harlequin Rasboras
4 Otocinclus
MartinC

Return to Beginners