SAE's

New to fishkeeping? This is the place to find out whatever you need to know!

SAE's

Postby danielpalfrey » Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:23 am

Hi, I hope this is the right place.
I live in erdington Birmingham
I am looking for a local fish shop that sells SAE's

If anyone could point me in the right direction i would really appreciate it.

thanks

Dan
danielpalfrey

Re: SAE's

Postby Rockfish » Sun Dec 07, 2014 6:09 pm

Hi,

I don't know if any shops in your specific area that stock them, but I would Google local shops (or perhaps find some shop names in your area first from the PFK shopfinder: http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/directory2.php - I don't think the fish species search works properly, but you could search by county to find shops close to your postcode area). Then just give them a call and ask if they stock them regularly.
Sean

Remember there's lots of info at The Tropical Tank main site!
Rockfish
Site Admin

Postby danielpalfrey » Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:30 pm

Ok, so I have found a place called Anglo Scottish aquatics. They stock what they are calling Siamese flying fox, but i have a reason to believe this to be incorrect. Please read the following email snippet sent via this shop to myself

The ones we have are crossocheilus siamensis, so the Siamese flying fox

This was in response to me asking if they stocked Siamese algae eaters.

Unless I am mistaken isn't crossocheilus siamensis the "Scientific name" for the Siamese algae eater?
danielpalfrey

Postby Rockfish » Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:09 pm

Hi,

Siamese algae eater and Siamese flying fox are often used interchangeably to mean Crossocheilus siamensis, and neither is really right or wrong since there's no official system for common names. Just to complicate things, the species referred to as Crossocheilus siamensis for many years is probably a different Crossocheilus species, most likely C. langei.

However, if the shop is calling them C. siamensis / Siamese flying fox then it's likely to be the correct fish we know in the hobby - and the good thing is that the other very similar Crossocheilus species have a generally similar temperament and the same taste for algae.
Sean

Rockfish
Site Admin

Postby danielpalfrey » Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:19 pm

basically I need to go and look and identify the fish myself lol. but I am in with a shot at getting the Siamese algae eater
danielpalfrey

Postby danielpalfrey » Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:11 pm

Ok I found one who seems confident they have some. They restock them every week.
It's called Beacon pet aquarium.

Going up there friday.

If anyone from the Erdington area is interested I'll be posting my findings here.
danielpalfrey

Postby danielpalfrey » Sun Dec 14, 2014 1:27 am

Ok, so I went up to the aquarium today, they have a tank clearly marked up "Siamese Algae eaters" But there weren't any in there, clearly have none in stock... So I was obviously unable to determine weather these were actually SAE's

The shop owner has promised to email me as soon as they are in stock and when she does i'll be straight over to take a look.
danielpalfrey

Postby danielpalfrey » Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:55 am

Ok, finally got to see the so called SAE's and there flying fox's
danielpalfrey

Postby Rockfish » Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:45 pm

That's a shame when you've travelled to get them :(

The shop really shouldn't be confusing SAE's with the classic Flying Fox, they really are quite different.

Confusion between the different Crossocheilus species, now that's a different matter...

The one or two Crossocheilus species that get imported as SAE's are more commonly available than they use to be, so it's surprising more shops don't stock them.
Sean

Rockfish
Site Admin

Return to Beginners