Filter broke now out of sync

New to fishkeeping? This is the place to find out whatever you need to know!

Filter broke now out of sync

Postby Vision2reality » Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:15 pm

I hope someone can reassure me...

I have had my 120 litre aquarium tank for 4 months. The first 4 weeks I did a fish less cycle and then added 6 tetras. To my surprise they all survived and so 1 month after that I got a clown pleco, and 1 month after that I got 5 baby clown loaches which was about three weeks ago. None of the fish have died and the water readings for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates were all correct. My air pump died two weeks ago so I replaced that...

I did a water change yesterday and noticed that the filter was quite dirty so changed one filter media and put it back. I then noticed that the whole filter didn't appear to be working as there was no movement of water and I changed the setting and didn't make a difference. there wasn't much I could do so left it in there until I could get to an open store.

I woke up this morning to see all the fish at the top of the tank after air I presumed. Did a check of the chemicals and ammonia was non existent but nitrite and nitrate were middle if the rating cards. Has the breakdown of the filter caused a drastic issue with the tank and is there any way to ensure no lose of my fish while it gets back in sync?

I fitted the new filter system with the old filter media this morning (less than 24 hours after changing the water by about 20%) I've added filter start and stress coat. None of the fish are at the top after 1 hour but I'm concerned I'm going to lose some in the next day or two.

Is it recommended to hold off on food today to help the filter get back in sync? Or anything else to prevent problems.

I'm so annoyed that two items have broken on me less than 6 months old from the same place so I will be trying to get a refund but it will be annoying if this causes any deaths. :(

Any advice will be great!
6 silver tipped tetras
1 clown pleco
5 clown loach
Vision2reality

Re: Filter broke now out of sync

Postby Carylnz » Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:58 am

What part did you change? The sponges can be rinsed and re-used. That way you are not wiping out so much bacteria as well.
Well done on waiting 1 month before adding each new lot of fish!
Frequent water changes are your best way to counteract any effects from the lack of filtration until the bacteria build up again to required levels.
Feeding less will help too. Less food in = less waste out.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Return to Beginners