Newbie ...

New to fishkeeping? This is the place to find out whatever you need to know!

Newbie ...

Postby riverbottom » Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:49 pm

Hello everyone! :D

Just wanted to introduce myself as i've been reading a lot over the last few weeks and really enjoying the ups and downs of being a newbie to the Tropical Fish world.

I currently have a 60L tank (with a fluval U2), sand substrate which 'was' planted (speak to my barbs about that...) and has a few larger sections of bog wood, re-planning the tank with more suitable plants very soon (and hopefully a better planting technique).

Currently has 5 Tiger Barbs and 2 Zebra Loaches...seem to be a happy bunch and all very active.

However I guess my question is, when I ordered my loaches I asked for 4, only 2 arrived a few weeks back and still waiting on the 2nd 2 which have arrive this week at my LFS. Everywhere I have read mentions you need at least 4/5 hence I ordered 4, however after further reading i'm now concerned i'm going to over stock with 9 fish?

Any comments on the my stock and types of plants which will not get picked at too easy.

Cheers :)

Re: Newbie ...

Postby Rockfish » Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:21 pm

Hi there, welcome to the forum :)

Zebra loaches generally are better as a group - certainly more active and less shy. I don't think you would be overstocked with the loaches and barbs, it's easy to get hung up on numbers of cm or inches per litre or gallon but such guidelines have to be applied with common sense because there are more factors involved than simple numbers can allow for. One of the main ones is of course maintenance. Regular water changes and proper filter maintenance will keep a well-stocked tank healthier than a lightly stocked one that's neglected of course.

The tank is borderline size for an active swimmer like tiger barbs, but you should be ok with five.

Plants that barbs won't eat aren't easy to come by! Java Fern is probably the classic one normally recommended, and is also hardy and easy to grow. Anubias also have quite tough leaves, though some barbs will still eat their way through them. Including some veggie food in their diet might reduce the tendency a bit, as well as providing a more balanced diet - this could include veggie/algae flakes or granules, or household greens that can be weighted down or attached to an aquarium veggie clip.

Remember there's lots of info at The Tropical Tank main site!
Site Admin

Return to Beginners